Saturday, February 16, 2013

New York City

Oo ah oo ah oo oo, Kitty (or anyone else)
Tell me about the shops in New York City
Okay ... maybe I made a mistake in that bit of lyrics, but this is what has been going through my head for the past week or so. John & I will shortly be spending a few days in New York City.  Neither of us have ever been there before.  Our discussion seems to center around where & what we can eat ... lol!  However, I am on a search for "can't miss" knitting shops & yes, cross stitch shops as well.  If anyone can throw a few shop suggestions my way, I would greatly appreciate it   : )   

Not much has been happening here.  We are oh so slowly working on getting the house ready to list it for sale in April.  On Monday I have an appointment with the endodontist to take care of my second root canal infection.  Since it is a lesser infection, the major surgery I had to have done in January will not need to be repeated ... thank God!  I anticipate a simple procedure, quick healing, & little, if any, pain.  Yesterday I finally finished putting together my complaint against the dentist I had so many problems with last year.  My insurance paperwork is not close to, but nearing, a blessed end.  My health seems to be relatively okay at the moment.  The "very, very, very bad thing" is in the hands of an attorney who assures me that all will be well.  Please do keep praying about that one.  

I cannot bring myself to stitch yet but I will not let IHSW pass me by.  I will, however, be participating in my own adaptation ... IHKW (International Hermit & Knit Weekend).  I am continuing to work on the socks I posted about on Wednesday.  I knitted the heel flap on Sock #1 last night & will next be turning the heel.
I you are puzzled as to why my knitting is lying on a bunch of puzzle pieces, it's because John & I started working on a jigsaw puzzle the other day.  We enjoyed doing the little 160-piece one that Santa brought me this past year so we decided to purchase a 1000-piece one.  You can't tell but it's a winter scene showing a quaint little village with lots of snow, & of course while I'm working on it, I'm thinking "I wish I lived in this place!"  I cleared off the dining table so we'd have a work space & here's what it looks like in here right now.
I apologize for the clutter you see in this photo, but be thankful for the clutter you can't see   : )

The birds have been enjoying the seeds we put out for them ... especially these little guys.



Sometimes that bush you see in the first photo is filled with 8 pair of cardinals.  It's gorgeous, but the moment I grab my camera, they decide to scurry.  At least I can capture a single one on film every now & then   : )

Other than knitting, & puzzling, & doing a bit of house sale preparation today, I will be making killer potatoes.  It's a good day for killer potatoes.  For my followers who may not have seen my post regarding the preparation of this artery clogging creation which John & I came up with years ago, feel free to look here ... & here.  Mmmmmmmm ... I'm looking forward to dinner   : )

I wish you all a happy weekend!

18 comments:

Pamela said...

You must visit Purl Soho in NYC!!! It is my absolute favorite shop. From knitting to fabric to a tiny bit of stitching, it is by far a great store. There are some other great shops like Tinsel Trading which carries lots of trims, ribbon, lace, etc. In the Fashion District you can find lots of shops. There is also a quilt store, City Quilter, that has great fabric.

No other stitching shops in NYC, however, there is one (my LNS) in NJ just across the Hudson River called Where Victoria's Angels stitch. You can take the bus and I believe it drops you off close to the shop.

If you need addresses and such, send me an e-mail.
I live in the suburbs of NYC and make a trip every now and then to visit a lot of these shops.
Pam

Vickie said...

Well then! You have decided and NYC it is! How adventurous. Can't wait to "go along with you". Well, at least through your blog posts. ;)
Shirlee! So many prayers answered. You are getting your ducks in a row. How wonderful to get unburdened with some things.
Those socks looks soooo cool.
Naughty, naughty! Having those taters again!! ;)

Mii Stitch said...

Ooooh, how lovely! A trip to NYC!!! I'm so envious :) Been there over 3 years ago & wish I'd found some great xstitch shop... Enjoy the potatoes too :D

gracie said...

Geez...it has been 9 years since I've been to NYC...can't think of any shops! Have a great time in a great city.

blue star stitcher said...

Finding new needlework shops on vacation is so fun, there are a few I have found that I wish I could take home with me. I have yet to make it to NYC though, I hope you have a fun trip (with lots of photos)!

Krista said...

Wow, have fun in NYC! One of my favorite places, there are always things to do. For knitting, I think the most famous one is Purl Soho, and there is also the Lion Brand Yarn Studio. Have an awesome time!

Love your cardinal pics, so pretty!!
Enjoy your IHKW!

Anne said...

Unfortunately, there are no cross stitch shops in NYC itself, although there are a couple close by in NJ. You'd probably need a car to get to them, though. I've been to Annie's, on the Upper East Side. She has a knitting store downstairs and a needlepoint store upstairs. The website is www.annieandco.com, if you want to check it out. And welcome to the Big Apple! Despite our lack of good needlework shops, it's still a great city!

Catherine said...

Do enjoy your trip!!!
Your cardinal photos are lovely ~ I hope you can catch a photo of all of them together!
Enjoy those taters!!!

Anne said...

Glad to hear your health is getting better Shirlee and that the insurance crisis is somewhat over. I'll keep praying for you. Those socks will look so fantastic when finished and will be fun to wear :D Who doesn't love fun socks?!! PUZZLES!!! I almost forgot about the joy of doing a good puzzle. I used to spend so much time as a girl/teen making puzzles!! Love those photos of the cardinal. I wish we had cardinals here!

Peggy Lee said...

Masterchief went to NYC years ago and now says he'll never go back. I hope to change his mind some day.
We used to have so many birds when we lived up there. I love the cardinals. They are so beautiful!
Hope you two enjoyed your taties.
~hugs

marly said...

Have a safe trip!!!

Unknown said...

Okay, so I just started following your blog because Granny Trace told me you lit your project on fire because it went "awry". Oh. My. Girl, I felt your frustration. Being a new stitcher with eye astigmatisms, I am constantly messing up and finding out later. You made me laugh out loud! You are hilarious, and I am excited to start following your blog!

Love and blessings with wishes of a fire extinguisher close by...
Heather

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

New York, how exciting!! I went there in 2001, flew home on the 9th September, glad it wasn't 2 days later!
I used to enjoy a good jigsaw puzzle, pre-cross stitch days.
Your cardinals are gorgeous, I was explaining to my Mum about them the other day. Neither of us knew they were a real bird that bright red and so common in the States. we thought they were like the plump robins you see on Xmas cards, nice but nothing like the real ones!

Maggee said...

I hope you find some great shops in NY! Now I can't get n NY song out of my mind... Love your pictures of the cardinals. Such close pictures! Very nice! Maybe you will have a finished sock soon to share with us! Hugs!
P.S. 'Mary' loved your bonfire!

Siobhán said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures of the cardinals. It does my heart good to see them.

Enjoy the Big Apple!

cucki said...

Wow, have fun in NYC!..I am sure you will love it there..
Love your cardinal pictures..so cute..
Hugs x

Stress Less said...

I hope you have a great trip. Love your socks. Glad you are finally feeling a little better!!!!

Anne said...

Glad you picked up some knitting anyway, and love your cardinals! They are just so sweet!! Their colour is gorgeous!! :)