Wednesday, January 18, 2012

More Than Just A Cross Stitcher!

I know that many of you have come to know me primarily as a cross stitcher but there are those of you who are also aware of dalliances with other crafts in the past such as quilting, weaving, spinning, bobbin lace, lampwork bead making, tatting, knitting, painting, woodworking, etc.  But how many of you knew that I have a gift for interior decorating???  Well, feast your eyes on these!



Have you ever in your life seen a diningroom chandelier adorned in this way?  I have actually been hesitant to post these photos because you know how it is sometimes when you post things on the internet ... people or companies are able to track you down & well, I just didn't want HGTV to be bombarding me with requests to hostess a decorating show!  I just don't have the time right now!

What I am actually showing you in these photos is my collection of WDW & GAST Simply Shaker & Sampler Threads collections & the artful way in which I've been storing them.  Back in late summer when I returned to the world of cross stitching I decided that I needed to replenish the specialty threads I had sold for a mere pittance on eBay back when I convinced myself for the second time that cross stitching was not my main focus in life.  I had no idea how to store them ... there are so many ... but someone on a cross stitching forum indicated that she sorted her specialty threads by the name of the company, alphabetized them by color name, stored them on large binder rings, & hung them on a rod in her closet.  I have no closets with available rod space so when I was standing at the dining table sorting & alphabetizing & binder ringing I just hung them on the chandelier to keep them out of the way.  They have remained there ever since.  

Sometimes the most creative decisions are stumbled upon unintentionally   : )     

17 comments:

Cleejoow said...

oh dear :) my hubby wouldn't be very pleased with me if I stored my threads like this...

natalysneedle said...

Love your decorating idea! I have mine sorted on rings in the same way but I found peg board squares and hooks at michaels and mounted them on a wall in my craft closet. Don't forget light exposure will fade your colors.
Happy Stitching!

cucki said...

I lOve it so much..looking so sweet but a nice tempatation for maloo too :)
Stitchy hugs cucki xxx

annie said...

Inspiring to say the least! Make yourself happy in your home, hang your colors! Have a great day!

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

What a way to brighten up a room!!!
I'm sure a lot of people will give them a questionable look!!!
Sometimes us crafters have to do what we have to do!!!
Have a great day!
Prim Blessings
Robin

~*Sharee*~ said...

What a GREAT idea!! I think I'm going to steal it.LOL

Hugs, Shar

Michelle said...

Oh wow I love it x

Minnie said...

You may need to get a patent on that idea before some big company steals it. Love your stash.

Nicola said...

LOL - this is the most original way I have seen of storing threads.

TheCrankyCrow said...

LOL...You crack me up girl!! I think Minnie is right - get a patent - quick!! And, hey - if you need an agent or anything for the design shows that are going to be pounding on your door, let me know!!! (PS....I spy some gorgeous Polish stoneware! And where did you get your curtains????) Happy Wednesday Shirlee!! It's your kind of day in Nod - FREEZING! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Angela said...

Hi Shirlee, if it works for you,, then go for it girl. Quite colorful to say the least. Enjoy your day!
Angela

prims by olde lady morgan said...

Shirlee, That is a stash and a half!!! Love it!! Love your lastest stitchin in the past post too... love seeing them all, since I don't cross stitch... great job! OLM

Friendship Crossing said...

I love your funny sense of humor! I can see why HGTV needs to contact you! I have enjoyed reading some of your older posts and now have you on my sidebar.

Hugs,
Tanya

Beckyjean said...

LOL Shirlee!! I do the same thing with doll parts when I dry them. My hubby doesn't say a word anymore.

Have a wonderful night~Becky

tpescdoc said...

Perfect. Add a walk in pantry, many bookshelves, a great kitchen and a chicken coop(I think) and I'm set. I just donated 20 plus years of cross stitch material to Big brothers and sisters when I was trying to simplify. Silly me!

Carol said...

You may be starting a trend here, Shirlee!! At least you always know exactly where to find them :)

bettyj said...

Oh heavenly days! I never know what to expect when I come to visit.lol When I saw that I wondered what the heck!