Friday, June 12, 2015

14 More Days

So I've been packing moving boxes lately ... & not as cheerfully as the woman in the above photo, I might add ... lol!  John & I have moved 21 times over the past 39 years.  Those moves have included in-state moves as well as moves to 11 different states.  This move, however, surpasses them all on the stress meter!  

Closing is in 14 days.  We still have no idea where we are going.  I have searched for nice rental homes in 12+ different states.  Most are too small, or too big, or impractical in some way (two retired people in a 6 BR/4 BA home, two hours away from the nearest city), or they back up to an interstate or an elementary school or some such thing.  Two really nice homes were rented before I saw the ads for them.  I was told that we would be next in line if the first renters didn't work out, but apparently they did.  We had another home in our grasp ... the 6BR/4BA home I mentioned above ... but practicality won out & we turned it down.  A week later when I had second thoughts bordering on desperation, I saw that the home was still being advertised for rent, so I contacted the owners to let them know we would be interested in renting it, but they had found other renters ... they just didn't remove the ad yet.

We've traveled to see a few homes in northern Kentucky as well as in central Tennessee.  One was misrepresented by the realtor.  Another had a strange smell.  The most interesting home was one where I spoke with the owner on the phone & explained to her how picky I am & that I am looking for a home that is "squeaky clean."  She immediately said that I needn't worry ... she is picky too.  She described herself as a "clean freak" & told me how hard she worked to clean the home when she moved out including painting & new carpeting.  When we viewed the home, it was a sight to behold.  The basement was damp & smelled bad.  Upstairs the insides of all the drawers & cabinets had mold & various debris in them.  The refrigerator smelled bad & was filled with mold.  The stove top was scratched & scraped, & the oven floor looked as if things had boiled over onto it many times during the 4 years she had lived there but she never bothered to clean them up.  I went to turn on a light switch & noticed it was moldy.  Then there was the room which had served as her young son's bedroom. He had obviously been allowed to eat & drink in there, & while doing so he had apparently shaken his pop cans & juice boxes because there were drops & streaks & whatnot from the contents of those cans & boxes all over the walls & doors. The carpet was filthy, & the baseboards were all chipped.  And this woman stood there, right in front of us, telling us about how she is a "clean freak" & how she had the walls painted & replaced the carpeting when she moved out of the house.

We have a few possibilities to view over the next few days.  One is about an hour from here.  Two are about 2-1/2 hours from here.  These 3 homes are still in Kentucky.  We currently have 5 possibilities northeast of Cincinnati.  There is also a possibility of a log cabin home in northeast Tennessee sitting on 5 acres of land & owned by a pastor & his wife.  This last home is certainly intriguing, but I'm not sure how practical it would be.  Will any of these homes fulfill our needs?  I sure hope so as I am getting a bit antsy here. And please don't tell me to leave it in God's hands, that He has a place picked out for us, etc.  I know this ... & I am trusting Him to lead us to the home where He wants us to be.  Still, my human nature is freaking out a bit.  

While packing the other day, I started to sing.  I never sing anymore because over the years I have lost the ability to carry a tune.  If your back was turned & you didn't know I was behind you, & I started singing, you would think Lucy Ricardo was in the room.  If I'm in a situation where group singing is encouraged ... like singing hymns at church ... I hold the hymnal & just enthusiastically mouth the words.  Anyway, the other day I started to sing a song from West Side Story ...

"There's a place for us,
Somewhere a place for us,
Peace & quiet & open air
Wait for us ... somewhere."

... & the old Diana Ross hit.

"Do you know where you're going to?
Do you like the things that life is showing you?
Where are you going to?
Do you know?"

I don't know ... lol!  But there is definitely a place waiting for us ... that I do know.  

On Wednesday I had to call a plumber.  There was something wrong with our water heater ... it was making a terrible noise.  It turned out that the noise was not coming from the water heater but instead from some gizmo attached to it that regulates the flow of water ... something like that. Of course this gizmo couldn't have waited to break down until after closing.  We had to pay $585 for a new one ... parts & labor.  The plumber ... one of the "good guys" in The Devil's Playground ... noticed the moving boxes & paraphernalia all over the place & we talked about various parts of the country & moving in general including our super quick sale.  I told him it all happened so fast & that I hoped we hadn't made a big mistake.  His words of wisdom were these:  "This isn't a mistake, this is an adventure!"  Nice man, albeit a bit delusional   : )

But seriously ... this is an adventure.  I have often thought that with all the moving we've done & all the experiences we've had doing so, I ought to write a book.  My readers would probably think I was making everything up, but it would be interesting nonetheless   : )

I didn't intend to write such a long post.  Chalk it up to not wanting to face another packing box ... lol!  I will be back with an update ... whenever that might be.  I have rarely read blogs over the past couple of weeks, & if I have read one, I've rarely left a comment ... & I am beyond behind in answering emails.  All I can do is ask for your forgiveness & understanding.  Life will come together one of these days & I will return to being a better emailer & blogger.  Until then ... back to packing & looking for homes to rent.

(I wonder what happened to my Christmas count down thingie?  I didn't remove it, but it's no longer showing up on my sidebar.  Something to explore another day.)

(Note:  I have been informed that the Christmas count down thingie is still here.  For whatever reason it isn't showing up on my end.  Lol!  The craziness continues!)

22 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Shirlee, thinking of you! Your Christmas countdown clock is still there although not at the top. It is currently under the kitty picture under your blog archives.

Sending hugs your way!

Robin in Virginia

Vickie said...

You know I am praying! You two are soooooooo adventurous!

KimM said...

Chin up, Shirlee! Something will pop - I'm sure!!!
xxx

CalamityJr said...

Oh my goodness! Just hearing what all you're doing exhausts me! I'm sure things will work out as they should, even as I realize how much this "adventure" can wear on you. Hang in there - I know you can!

Justine said...

Thinking of you at this stressful time. And ew ew ew at that dirty house! Squeaky clean, really?!

Vicki said...

Praying you'll find your new home soon!

Carolyn said...

Have you considered PA? This is a beautiful, reasonable area close to Williamsport Hospital, etc
http://www.recreationalpropertiespennsylvania.com/

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I love that Diana Ross song. I do believe the RV is looking more and more possible though!

And how totally Shirlee to be worried about the Christmas Countdown at a time like this!

SuperMomNoCape said...

I read the post about your house selling so quickly and a search for a rental so I'm sending good thoughts and wishes that everything falls into place for you. Aloha hugs and blessings for you and your husband!

Farmhouse prims said...

Hi Shirlee, I don't know how you have moved all of those times. I have lived in the same place 31 years. The only good thing about moving is getting rid of the clutter, I think I need to move. I would love to have a new home, but don't see that happening. So I just asked the Lord to help me be content where I am at.
But I know you will find a wonderful place, when you see it, you will know it is the right place. The Shenandoah Valley of Va. is a beautiful place to live,
and WV the eastern panhandle is nearby. Praying you find a wonderful home. Hugs, Lecia

Frances said...

I had to laugh at your singing comments...I'm sure you sing much better than you think! (If not, you can be in the "joyful noise" group--it's a sweet group full of happy 'singers'!!!)
You are very adventurous--all of that moving you've done! You are definitely a strong person!
It will all work out and you will find the perfect place!
I can just imagine the woman with the house of filth, telling you how picky she is!!!! It takes all kinds...
Hang in there! I know you'll be just like a cat and land on your feet!

Julie said...

The log cabin sounds wonderful ....

Karyn said...

Oh Shirlee...I have BTDT, as you know not too long ago, hang in there, it will all fall into place and the right home will be yours. I'm saying many prayers for you.
Isn't it funny how much we all differ in our idea of clean? OMW I can take a lot of things but bad smells and creeping crud, LOL.
Keep us posted, and again hang in there, it will all fall into place and those packing boxes will soon be a thing of the past.
Hugs
Ma

Pam in IL said...

You've been on my mind and in my prayers! Somehow things always work out and I have no doubt that they will work out in this case too.

Sally said...

Good luck Shirlee. I hope you find something suitable very soon.

Purple Pixie Dust said...

hope you find something nice soon. take care and relax a little between packing boxs. hugs Lynda Ruth

Annette-California said...

Oh WOW! Thank goodness you did check out that one home. Have you contacted a realtor in the states you would consider? I keep picturing you and John on House Hunters! You know where you get to chose from 3 homes? Best of Luck sweet Shirlee! I am praying for you.
love Annette

Susan said...

Sending thoughts & prayers your way. I really hope you find the perfect place to make home soon!
Susan

Kaisievic said...

I think that I have commented on this post already but I cannot see it, but just in case - good luck with the moving my dear friend. I am positive that you will find the right place for you and John, hugs, Kaye

Unknown said...

Hi all the way from sunny South Africa! Wow, you have moved so many times!! How adventurous you are. We have been staying in our house for 16 years and I secretly wish I could move too :) I have just recently started reading your blog and I love it! I have also just started a blog and would love it if you could take a look and comment and even some advice. My blog is not only crosstitch but also my love for all things art related. Please take a look at www.theartfullplace.blogspot.com Love Shirley xx

Michele Inman said...

Hope things are working out for you. I miss reading your blog updates.

Annette-California said...

Missing your posts! Hope the move is going smoothly!!!
love Annette