Thursday, September 24, 2015

Pondering

I've been pondering a lot of things lately.  Perhaps this is because every time I turn around I find another medical issue slapping me in the face ... or perhaps all the stress I've been under (which seems to be never-ending!) is getting to me ... or maybe it's because I'm nearing the age of 62 & pondering just steamrolls itself into your life at this juncture.  Then again, maybe the advent of fall just makes one ponder things.  I only know that some changes need to be made ... & while pondering about life & changes & anything else really, a cup of hot tea helps soothe the troubled soul.

BEINGS THAT CHRISTMAS EVE IS JUST 3 MONTHS AWAY FROM TODAY!!! (yes, I had to write that all in caps with exclamation points ... & you can't see it but you probably know that there's a big smile on my face as well!) ... I decided to be a little wild & crazy & break out the Christmas teas this morning.  I opened the tea cupboard where I have them stored.

I actually have 2 cupboards full of teas!
I put on my kettle.  I used to have a pretty red Le Creuset tea kettle that looked like this.
Two of them actually.  The first one was destroyed when, while I became occupied elsewhere while waiting for it to boil, all the water boiled out but the kettle remained on high heat. The same thing sort of happened with the replacement kettle just a few days after it was purchased.  With that kettle, I put it on the stove & turned on the high heat but forgot to put water in it   : (   I had gone out on the porch to talk with John for few minutes, then went inside & was greeted with ... well, you can imagine.  John & I decided it was maybe best for me not to have any more of these pretty kettles, so now I've got this Hamilton Beach electric one.
It boils water quickly & then shuts itself off.  And if you forget to put water in it in the first place (yes, it's happened) it just gets a little warm & then shuts itself off.  

After putting on the kettle, I set out my tea cup (a mug really).  
Then I chose a box of what I thought was assorted Christmas teas, but surprise!  It was actually a Tea of the Month Collection!  
I put it away after we opened gifts last Christmas thinking it was a Christmas assortment! I'm going to have a lot of catching up to do before I can get to the real Christmas teas, but for today I chose the September offering ... Cinnaberry.  You might not be able to read the description below, so here's what it says.

"Blueberry & cinnamon is a classic combo for a reason - the blend of sweet, juicy berries & warm spice is cozy, comforting, & just plain nostalgic.  It's like a hug in a cup."

I don't particularly like fruity teas, but I do like hugs.  This tea sounded good to me.


As it was brewing in my mug, it smelled quite good.
Did you happen to notice my teaspoon?  Here's a closer look.
Yes, I have a set of snowmen flatware.  
I've had it for about 20 years & have used it every day.  I do love snowmen   : )

The tea finished brewing & I took a sip.  Would it taste as good as it smelled?  (Please ignore the lack of makeup & the gnarled twisted hand ... this is my first selfie.)
Yes!  It's a good tea!  I give it my thumb's up! 
Hmmmm ... perhaps I need to ponder how to make better use of my time other than taking photos of myself making tea   : )

14 comments:

Vicki said...

Shirlee, I think pondering is just a part of life that flows in and out along the way. It's like seeing a report card on ourselves and gives us the opportunity to make changes if needed. Just don't ponder too long! (I thought your selfie looked good, every time I try to take one I realize that my arms aren't long enough!)

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Yes, age does make me ponder (I am working my way to 62). You have come to a happy solution with the tea kettle. I have been watching Return to Halifax and I love the way the British say "I'll put the kettle on."

PNLima said...

I dread going to any hairstylist and stick to the same if possible and if I like the first time, for years on end!
The tea looks lovely, the spoon too but the hair of the cup holder is ok! Maybe not the way you wanted but that Jim Carey photo let me dream the worst possible!
Evaluating teas seem a good way to spend time!
Hugs

lynda said...

What a perfect way to spend your time! I could almost smell that tea right through the computer screen (yes...I am a tea addict as well!)
Enjoy the rest of your day!

Michele Inman said...

FYI - you and your hair cut are adorable. I just wish my hair looked that good instead of being a mop of frizz (and that's on a good day). :-)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Another great post! You have such a wonderful sense of humour. And your haircut looks fine to me.
My Mum has a tea cupboard too, all sorts of different varieties. Maybe I should try find a Tea of the Month club for her.

Maureen said...

Hi Shirlee! A tea break sounds like the perfect answer for stress or issues when no solution seems to be on the horizon.Hey I think we've come up with a newish saying"Sometimes the best thing to do is to do nothing....or make tea!!" I smiled reading your reason for switching to an electric kettle.....me too! Isn't it funny how individual we all are but so alike too?
I prefer my tea from a mug too. When I watch Downton Abbey and see them wetting their whistles from those lovely but tiny tea cups,well that just wouldn't do it for me.
Hugs,Maureen

Kaisievic said...

Honestly, Shirlee, I cannot think of a better way to spend one's time, then taking the time to make a good cuppa! Come to think of it, I am going to go make myself one now, care to join me?

gracie said...

I am on the other side of 62 heading toward the higher numbers...and I too ponder what is this or that. I tell myself that age is just a number until the day that, well, the aches spend entirely too much time with me. I think a nice hot cup of tea always has some merit...especially when sipping from a pretty cup...

nancy p. said...

Is it possible to use black for the writing as I find with the brown background and red lettering it is difficult to see. I really enjoy your blogging. And seeing what you are doing.

nancy p. said...

I wish you would use a darker ink color. The red is hard to read on the brown background.

Robin in Virginia said...

I am glad you had an enjoyable tea break especially as you were in a pondering mood! Shirlee, do you have more information on your snowman flatware?

Robin in Virginia

Julie said...

I could almost smell that tea from here. A lovely selfie pic of you and as Jo says your new haircut looks lovely.

Pam in IL said...

I always ponder more in the fall too. I like your snowmen flatware. I've seen snowmen dishes, towels and other kitchen items, but never flatware. I do love snowmen, but I don't think my hubby would agree to using snowmen flatware everyday, lol.