Friday, January 6, 2017

More Snow ... Lots of Bird Photos

The snow from the other day melted away pretty quickly, but yesterday it started snowing at about 5 a.m. & continued pretty much the entire day & into the night.  A light snowfall most of the time, but quite a few periods of those big, fat, fluffy flakes I love so much.  We've been feeding the birds here since winter arrived & yesterday I got some pretty good photos of some of them ... along with some squirrel photos!  Did I ever mention that when I was in middle school, my little cousin couldn't say my name?  Instead of it coming out as "Shirlee," it came out as "squirrelly."  The family had a field day with that   : )

Here are some cardinals, male & female.









I love how I was able to capture two of them at the same time   : )



Here is a female, a mystery bird, & a mourning dove sharing their meal.

I like how this female cardinal is sandwiched by two mourning doves   : )

Mourning doves are so cute!


Here is a mourning dove all puffed up against the cold.

One of our regular squirrels.  

It might be a little difficult to see but this is a black squirrel   : )
I hope you enjoyed visiting with our feathered & furry friends   : )


19 comments:

CalamityJr said...

Glad you got your snow! Your photos are lovely. As beautiful as the cardinals are, I've always been partial to the mourning doves. Thanks for sharing them, too.

PNLima said...

Lovely, just lovely! Happy New Year!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Beautiful cardinal pics! I saw one yesterday and consider it such a treat when I do.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

The cardinals really "pop" at this time of year.

Birdie said...

GORGEOUS pictures!!! Cardinals are my downfall......love them. I always look forward to your pictures as they are so crisp and beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

Vickie said...

Yes, I enjoyed your pictures. :D

Jackie's Stitches said...

Cardinals are such beautiful birds, both the male and female. Your photos are exceptional!

Maggee said...

Ooooh such great pictures! The 'mystery' bird is a Dark Eyed Junco... and they always seems to appear after a snow, if you put seed out or have feeders! We are under a 'Blizzard Warning' tonite thru tomorrow nite! That's a first for us! Soon it will begin... Enjoy the white stuff! Hugs!

Robin in Virginia said...

What wonderful pictures, Shirlee! Love your cardinal pictures especially; such a vivid color to them! I am glad you ended up with some snow. We have had some flurries yesterday and today, but nothing substantial and nothing sticking to the ground. Enjoy your weekend!

Vicki said...

Great photos!

gracie said...

Brr, it looks cold. I remember big fat fluffy snowflakes....love the pictures of the feathery friends, especially the cardinals.

Julie said...

Such lovely wildlife you can see from your window, the cardinals really do look lovely in the whiteness of the season.

marly said...

I've only seen a black squirrel once, and he wasn't solid. Loved seeing this one! Maybe I could claim that in the cold winter I puff out for warmth like the birds.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Oh Squirrelly, I love your cardinal photos. Until I discovered blogging I did not realise they were a real bird. I'd seen them in cross stitch designs and couldn't believe anything real would be such a bright red colour.

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Oh Shirlee! Two of my favorite things...cardinals and of course, snow! Funny, we didn't get anything here. I'm glad you got treated. Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures.

Frances said...

The cardinals are so vibrant and beautiful!

Pam in IL said...

I've been offline for a while, so just checking in ;) Love seeing the birds visiting your feeders. We have lots of your mystery bird, the Black-eyed Junco, here, along with Cardinals, Mourning Doves, Finches and Chickadees. I love being outside (when it isn't too brutally cold) and hearing all the birds.

Kaisievic said...

Wow! Your cardinal photos are so very beautiful. They are stunning birds, aren't they?

Shirley Hill said...

Hello Shirlee. It's been such a long time since I've heard from you. I hope everything is going well and your absence is just because you are busy!

Shirley