Thursday, April 12, 2018

Catching Up

It's been quite busy around here, but then again there doesn't seem to be much of anything getting done!  I don't know if anyone else feels this way but I have SO much to do that I am just overwhelmed by it all.  The tasks appear insurmountable.  I know, I know ... take things a little at a time.  One box per day.  One drawer per day.  Great advice, I'll grant you that.  Unfortunately all the little pixels just meld into one huge picture & I need to go have a lie down.  Sigh!

Some stitching is getting done, if nothing else.  I sort of finished my Winter ABCs by Little House Needleworks, the pattern having been gifted to me by Debra Scott.

Design:  Winter ABCs
Designer:  Little House Needleworks
Fabric:  Suggested 32-count Vintage Tundra linen
Floss:  DMC alternatives

I say I sort of finished this because I still need to stitch 20 or so blasted French knots.  They are unfortunately stitched over white motifs using either red or black floss.  I say unfortunately because after several failed attempts at getting them "just right" (you know me & my curse of just rightness) the black &/or red dye leaves little discolored areas amidst the white floss which, of course, will not do.  I have given up & will instead substitute little seed beads when I can find the right size.  I guess a three-year break in stitching made me forget my once-upon-a-time vow to carefully look at patterns before stitching them just in case those evil French knots are included.  

This next project is an actual finish ... no "sort of's" with this one!
Design:  Le Poulet
Designer:  Blackbird Designs
Fabric:  Suggested 32-count Confederate Gray linen
Floss:  DMC alternatives

I have had this little chart in my stash for several years & have always looked forward to stitching it.  I am happy wit how it turned out.

This is my next project ... Lizzie Kate's A Little Stitch.  
I started stitching it last night & it will stitch up quickly.  

I am kind of between a rock & a hard place in that I have several boxes full of linen but I don't want to open them to see what I've got & to match it up with a design I want to stitch.  Therefore I keep stitching projects that either already have the fabric included with them or I order new fabric.  Argh!!!  I don't want to open boxes ... boxes of fabric or boxes of other things ... because when we moved from our beloved farmstead on the edge of heaven I made sure I packed things to withstand Armageddon. That is how I describe it.  I pack things inside boxes in such a way that if the movers drop them off the truck or down a flight of stairs nothing will be damaged.  It takes a lot of work to pack this way and I just want to avoid having to repack if possible.  I know what you're thinking ... fabric isn't going to be damaged if a box of it is dropped off a truck or down a fight of stairs.  I know.  Still, it is packed "perfectly" & I just don't want to have to go through packing it again.  Yes, I'm a nut case.

Speaking of moving, nothing to tell you on that front.  I did find three possible rental homes in Lexington but never received a call back when I inquired about them.  You would think a professional realtor with a home to rent would respond to someone with an interest in that home, even if just to say "I'm sorry, it's been rented."  So for now it looks like we might be in our current rental until we move to a cemetery.  I hope not.

Some of you would say it's a beautiful day here today ... a sunshiny 75 degrees.  A slight breeze, not a cloud in the sky.  Tomorrow the prediction is for 78 degrees!  Blah!!!  Monday looks a little better ... 44 degrees with a chance of rain/snow.  Come on Monday!!!

You may have guessed from the continued Christmas/winter theme that I still cannot access my laptop.  I did take it in to Staples & a very personable young man was actually able to fix it for me while I was there.  I brought it home & it worked for about 20 minutes & that was the end of it.  I will need to get a new laptop one of these days.  In the meantime it is going to be Christmasy & wintery when you come to visit me.  
Have a wonderful week everyone!!!     

7 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

What lovely stitches you shared, Shirlee! I am guessing some of the French knots are for the snowmen. I'm with you and would go the seed bead route. I look forward to seeing the LK piece come to life with your needle and thread. I stitched it for a friend's birthday and I enjoyed it. You continue to be in my thoughts as you continue to look for a new home. Thinking of you!

Vickie said...

Oh Shirlee, your Winter ABCs looks just fantastic! I hope you find your little beads soon. Le Poulet is really neat. I had never seen that before. I just love A Little Stitch. I would like to stitch that one myself some day. It is just perfect, isn't it? :D
I am sure you don't mind your blog being stuck in snow!! Ha! Yes, your weather sounds very nice to me.

marly said...

When all knots fail, bead it. And now I will have Michael Jackson's song in my head the rest of the night. That's ok with me.

Julie said...

Pretty finishes you have been working on.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I love the Winter ABCs designs and Yes - seed beads are the way forward!

Could you use a computer at the Library to gain access to your blog and change the winter? Although the way the seasons are it still seems to be quite appropriate to me!

butterfly said...


Love your stitching of the ABC , I have never seen that one before .
Good luck on your French knots , hugs.

Justine said...

Beautiful stitching Shirlee. I love the wintry colours on the ABC and the red alphabet is pretty. I have just started A Little Stitch, it's very pretty and quick.
Hope you find somewhere nice to rent soon.