Wednesday, January 23, 2013

IHSW Report ... and I Really Need to Look at Charts More Closely Before I Buy Them

I had a pretty good first IHSW of 2013.  I finished my Festive Redbird.  I decided to replace the date, which I wasn't too crazy about, with another holly leaf.

For the Joyous Heart design you see there on the right side, upside down, the designer suggested 28 count sandstone linen.  Since I had an empty space left over after stitching that, I decided to stitch the Festive Redbird on there as well rather than on the suggested 28 count Vintage Examplar.  I think it turned out just as nicely.  All suggested threads were used for the stitching.

I then decided to take a break from my HE designs & try my hand at a Prairie Schooler. I remembered seeing this Partridge in a Pear Tree design in last year's JCS ornaments issue & that is what I decided to do.  I used the suggested 32 count sage Jobelan & the suggested threads.
Last night it was time to start something new & I decided to go back to my HE designs.  Someone (sorry, I don't remember who) recently posted this design on their blog ... HE's 2006 Snowman Ornament, Along For The Ride ... & I remembered having it in my stash.    I love it, so it was a no brainer choice.  Then again, it was a choice made by someone without a brain.  Here is my start.
It looks simple enough, doesn't it.  Another "fun stitch."  Well, HA!  Take a look at the model photo.
It's probably not immediately obvious to you, but there are over 50 colonial knots called for in this design!!!  Yes, you read that right. Over 50 colonial knots in this stinkin' little design!!!  Upon realizing this, I got up out my recliner & did this.
I'm not saying I can't make a colonial knot.  I can ... after maybe 3 or 4 or 5 tries.  The sad, sad thing is that you can't somehow make a bad knot & then simply pick it out & fix it.  Oh no ... you have to cut the blasted thing out & start again from scratch.  This is especially angst-producing when you have a group of these knots & you mess up the last one & then have to make the whole group all over again.  I am, however, not going to give up.  I will stitch this design & I will make those blasted 50+ colonial knots if it's the last thing I do!!!  I will give my husband instructions on how to access my blog in case he needs to alert you to the fact that I had to be admitted to some sort of rest facility while in the midst of attempting all these knots.  
Now calm down Shirlee.  There are no colonial knots here.

27 comments:

Vickie said...

Oh Shirlee dear! I think, I think that you are going to soon be the MASTER of colonial knots!! ;)

Dawn said...

You are too funny! You just made me laugh so hard Shirlee.

LoriU said...

I have one word for you: beads. Yep. replace all french or colonial knots with beads and all is right in the world!

Siobhán said...

Girl, I feel your pain. I recently stitched Along for the Ride and had it on my blog. What you didn't notice is that I decided to get all fancy and do french knots instead of colonial knots. I think that would be the reason why I started it in 2011 and didn't pull it out again until the end of 2012. *ahem* I have to say, once I actually READ the chart and followed the colonial knot diagrams, I was able to do them w/o a problem. I used to do CK in place of FK, so don't know why I changed. Good luck!!

Love your other ornament finishes! You go girl! I need to pull out my charts and get to more of them.

Karen said...

I love HE too but don't like the knots. I usually fill in with stitches where they should go and just avoid the pain.

happy stitching....and knotting!

Pam in IL said...

I think your ornaments look great. I don't like knots (French or Colonial) either. Good luck with them.

Kay said...

When you get those knots figured out, let me know so I can send you all the projects I haven't finished just because they contain those blasted things! Whoever invented them should be ashamed of themselves, lol!

cucki said...

lol....me still laughing here..you so sweet deary..
love for you always xxx

Giovanna said...

Very nice ornament finishes! And you will master the knots, I'm sure :-)

Anonymous said...

If you head over to Mary Corbet's Needle 'N Thread blog she has great how to videos, one of which is the colonial knot. The videos are great.

Michelle said...

Oh bless you my friend - love the Festive Redbird one x

Anne said...

Lovely stitching! :)

L.O. said...

What pretty pictures. Love your latest project. I have never stitched a colonial knot, but if it is anything like a french knot I feel for you. It will be OK. If nothing else you will be an expert by the time you get it all done. Good luck!

Trace4J said...

You are such a hoot Queen of the colonial knots..
Woolie hugs and love

Carol said...

I'll bet after doing all 50 you'll be able to stitch them blindfolded, Shirlee!! Good for you for giving it a try--and remember, they don't have to look perfect!

LOVE that redbird. I have it, too, and wasn't crazy about the date on it (I don't like dated ornaments for some reason) so I'll have to keep your holly idea in mind--great idea!!

Judy said...

Oh, too funny!! Glad you were feeling well enough to get some stitching in! Stitching is lovely as always! I feel your pain with 50 colonial knots.

Judy heartland stitcher

Prims By The Water said...

Thanks for the laugh tonight Shirlee...I needed it. Janice PS you do good work even though you hate those colonial knots

marly said...

Make sure your husband tells us which rest home you're in so we can visit. Even if they confiscate our knots.

Chris said...

Lovely stitching! Just cross stitch those little sheep, forget about the colonial knots only you and your blogging friends will know.
Thta viseo made me laugh out loud. That is how my week has been!

Mii Stitch said...

Awww bless you, another funny post! I wish you good luck with these colonial knots (never done any but already despite the "simple" french knot!)& am really looking forward to see this little beauty finished x

Angela said...

I wish designers would clearly state what stitches are involved in their designs.....I'm working on a design with fractional stitches and I hate it!

Lovely ornament finishes :)

Kathy A. said...

Just too funny. I hope your knots go well. You can always replace them with beads. I have done that.

Marsha said...

That's when you use pretty sparkly beads instead or just plain cross stitches!

Bea said...

Those are great ornaments. And thanks for the laugh about the CK. I don't like them either.

Catherine said...

Great stitches! Good luck with those knots!

Kate said...

LOL, too funny about the knots :). I wouldve bailed on them and just used petite beads ;). Hats off to you for stitcking with it

Kaisievic said...

Oh, Shirlee, you make me laugh. good luck with those colonial knots!