Saturday, November 9, 2013

Floss Show & Tell, & a Cry for Help

Not long ago I posted how I store my DMC floss & showed a photo of my designer floss collections ... WDW & GAST ... hanging from large binder rings on a rod in an upstairs closet.  I made a reference to how I had once had these collections hanging from my dining room chandelier & someone said they would have loved to have seen a photo of that.  I had done a post about them in the early days of my blog but had no idea where it might be.  Well, this morning I was searching through some old blog posts for something else & came across those photos ... so here they are   : )



It was very convenient having them hanging there, but since we were planning to put the house up for sale, I had to go the closet route ... much less pizzazz.  
Incidentally, I have added a new list to my sidebar which I've temporarily titled Popular Posts.  As I go back in my blog from time to time & find posts that people have particularly enjoyed, I will add them to the list.  Right now there is only a link to the original chandelier floss storage post.  

Recently I have been delving into the unknown as far as my floss usage is concerned.  My favorite floss to use has always been DMC.  It's not very expensive & it's available at most craft stores.  However, I've been a bit disappointed with it recently because it has been tending to shed little bits of fiber.  By the time I've finished using a strand of 12" in length or so, it looks like I've got mohair threaded on my needle.  I decided that I'm going to give Sullivan's a try. I have ordered some but I have not yet used it.

I've read a lot of good things on blog posts about Nina's Threads & decided to give them a try.  Of course I couldn't just try a skein or two.  The posts I read were so complimentary that I bought an entire set.  I must say I am not disappointed!  I can't show you the project I tried them on because it's for an exchange, but I am more than pleased with them!  Beautiful color blending, very lustrous, & excellent coverage! While using them I felt like I was stitching with the threads of royalty or something   : )
I have also read a lot of good things about the floss that Nancy sells at Victorian Motto Sampler Shoppe so I ordered a couple red skeins to try for a project I was planning to stitch but have since scrapped, plus I ordered her Antique Christmas floss set & also her 1797 Sampler Floss Collection.  I haven't used any of this floss yet but I am planning to use some in my next project ... another exchange   : )   I will tell you that the colors are beautiful.  I will give you my thoughts on stitching with them in a week or so but I'm sure I will enjoy using them!
They don't look as impressive piled on my floor as they do in Nancy's ad for them   : )
While gathering up the sampler collection, I heard someone giggling & found Miss Pearl in my recliner playing pretty with a few skeins from the Antique Christmas collection!  Silly Pearl   : )
I have some no-longer-available floss I purchased a year or so ago that I have just thrown into a box to play with at a later time.  One of the brands is Six Strand Sweets. The other brand has a W in the name I think. Sigh!  My OCD got the best of me (it usually does) & I had to walk upstairs, find the box, & find the floss.  The name of this other brand is Old Willow Stitchery Floss.  I haven't used either of these flosses yet but I really guess it doesn't matter since they're no longer sold.

Now here's my cry for help.  I was informed not long ago that I am a total moron because I do not have the skill to swap out colors in stitching patterns like other stitchers do.  Lately I've been wondering if this is a skill I can maybe learn.  It sure would be helpful for those times when I see a stitching design that I love but the designer chose to have it stitched with colors that are not to my liking.  The designer floss skeins that I have on those binder rings up above are placed in alphabetical order.  Would it be better to group them by color families within each brand?  I'm thinking that this way, if a design is calling for a certain color of DMC (or any other brand of floss) ... let's say a red color ... & I'm not happy with the red color called for, I could easily see all the reds I have to choose from together in one area rather than having to flip through all the rings to find all the reds.  All the WDW reds would be together, all the GAST reds, etc.  Does this make sense?  Is this how it's done?  I'm not even going to consider the possibility of swapping out a red for a blue or some such thing.  Just the thought of that makes me feel the need to lie down with a cool compress on my forehead.  

How is everyone doing with their 30 Days of Thankfulness?  This morning I actually gave thanks for 2 things.  I woke up while it was still dark & noticed a huge amount of stars in the sky.  It's one of the perks of living out in the country ... no lights to distract from the stars.  How beautiful they are!  God gave us so many beautiful gifts for our eyes to see & one of those gifts would be the stars   : )   I was also thankful when the sun came up & I saw that the grass was covered with frost!  You know me ... I love cold & frost & snow.  Frost is not as good a snow, but it still makes me happy   : ) 

"He sends the snow in all its lovely whiteness, scatters the frost upon the ground,"
Psalm 147:16  (TLB)  

The unknown author of Psalm 147 praises God & encourages us to do so as well.  He also encourages us to sing out our thanks to Him.  He lists many things for which we should be thankful & offer praise, but I am most drawn by verse 16.  I think this unknown author & I would have been good friends   : )  
I wish you all a very happy & thanks-filled weekend   : ) 

35 comments:

Sally said...

Oooh look at all your lovely new threads Shirlee! You will not be disappointed with Nancy';s threads. I only have a few but they are lovely to stitch with. I haven't tried Nina's- yet!

I think you sorting your threads into colours is a good idea. I have all mine in number order or alphabetical order and it makes it a little awkward when you're wanting to sway a shade of one for another. When swapping out just go with what you feel. That is what I do.

Yesterday morning I was thankful for the sunrise as I stood on the beach watching it and for the tranquility of just me and the waves on the shore.

EvalinaMaria said...

So many beautiful colors! I organize my DMC floss by number and others alphabetically. For color swapping I use DMC color card.

Judy said...

I fel the same about DMC--I think it may be a lesser quality than it used to be. I have my WDW and GA threads the same as you..on rings in alphabetical order. I like it that way for finding the threads for a project. When chnaging floss color..I just lay them out on the fabric and pick one I like best. I have several VMSS threads and I love them. I have them by color groups--who knows why! I have never used Nina's threads. They do look beautiful. Are they available here in the states or must you order from her? This is my favorite time of year...I love snow--but hate driving in it!

Judy Heartland stitcher

Melody said...

The flosses you pictured are beautiful. I have not heard of Nina's before.

I don't have as much overdyed floss as you do, I simply have them together, and when I want to swap out a color I just browse thru what I have to see if something is suitable.

Good luck.

Penny said...

OMG!! I had to stop reading your post the minute I laid eyes on that doll!! (I'll go back and finish up in a minute).... That's Poor Pitiful Pearl!! I had her!! Now all I have left is the head scarf that she came with. As the oldest of 4 girls, my dolls got passed down, but somehow I ended keeping her scarf... I've never known anybody else who had her... I am so excited!! (can you tell? :))

Vicki said...

I guess I must be a moron, too, Shirlee. I have rarely tried to swap colors and when I do, it's with a lot of trepidation. I do not "get" the whole design side of stitching. I really enjoy following the pattern and making something beautiful. I guess my only foray into design is when I pick the fabric I'm using for each project. Even then, I sometimes have to get a 2nd opinion from my daughter or DIL. Your thread collection is impressive!

stitchersanon said...

I love Nancy's threads. I find I get knots in overdyed threads even though I untwist them....I recently used Nancy's for a gingerbread pattern and it was like stitching with butter.

Since cancer I am greatful every single day: be it good or bad, at least I am here to experience it lol. I love swapping colours..do it all the time. Just have the ones you want to use on your knee and check each one against them to see what appeals. And don't over think it; think 'play' and it will work perfectly!

Vickie said...

Yes, I remember your chandelier like that! I would organize them by color. I say would because I have almost all DMC and those are by number.
I am very thankful today for three teens who can rake the many leaves we have, easily!!!

Stitchy Mc Floss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rosek1870 said...

I love all the threads you have. I have some of Nancy's and would love to get the complete collection. I think you idea of sorting them by color would really help with seeing what you have when you want to change something up.

Also Cresant Colors is now Classic Colorworks. Here is their new website. http://www.classiccolorworks.com/

Also if you want to switch out colors (something I to and trying to learn check out The Samplers and Santas blog

http://samplers-and-santas.blogspot.com/

She has been doing a lot of Prairie School Santas none in the charted colors.

Pam in IL said...

I keep all my DMC grouped by their number in gallon size ziploc bags. All my other threads are kept in individual bags in number/alpha order.

I love Nancy's threads and I just bought a couple of skeins of Nina's threads to try.

When I feel the need to change colors, I usually just rummage through the threads. I keep all my threads in order so that when I'm pulling for a specific project it's easier to find what I'm looking for.

Thank you for sharing what you're thankful for today. While I'm not fond of winter or cold temps, I am thankful for the beauty of a frost or snow.

Michelle said...

Lovely threads Shirlee. I havent noticed a difference with DMC threads - I keep all mine in number order in my wooden storage box (soon to be wooden boxes as I have seen what Santa has bought me!!) xx

cucki said...

Wow dear I love all your threads ..so beautiful..they all so cute and very pretty colors..
I stored my threads on a bobbin with numbers and keep them in plastic boxes..
Sending you love x

Linda said...

I absolutely love the floss hanging from the chandelier Shirlee. It is so pretty. Looks pretty in the closet too.

Linda

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'm not a huge swapper of colors so floss in color order would be frustrating for me. I'd never be able to find specified colors. Give it a try and see what works for you!

Have your floss from your dining room chandelier must have been a conversation starter!

Simply Victoria said...

Gorgeous new threads. I had not heard of Nina's. Please let us know your review. I think sorting by color would be a good idea for you at least with your new threads. You could still keep your DMC's bagged up like you have them.
So cute to see Pearl again.
I am thankful for my 6th child who turned 7 today. He wanted a peanut butter cake with chocolate frosting. So thankful that I could do that gluten free and dairy free but not taste free. It turned out great and he loved it.

marly said...

I have very little thread inventory other than DMC, but those others are grouped by color. Works for me. From what you had before plus what you just bought, I think a thread shed is a good idea.

Kaisievic said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous threads, Shirlee. I will have to send you some Cottage Garden Threads (Aussie brand) - do you like variegated threads?
lots of hugs as always, Kaye

Kaisievic said...

P.S. Storing by colour rather than brand sounds like a great idea to me.

Samplers, Silks and Linens said...

love the new threads even from here you can tell they are silky and soft, i havnt heard any reviews about Nina's or Nancy's threads so now I'm curious :) dont know much about changing a colour palette on a pattern i'm having enough of a headache trying to pick paint colours for my house at the moment :( ~ Amanda

Carol said...

I, too, love Nina's threads--beautiful colors and nice coverage. I won some in a giveaway a few years back and have really enjoyed using them. I say try the storing by color and if it works for you, great!

Looks like Pearl is getting in the Christmas spirit already :)

Maggee said...

First off--you are NOT a moron or anything else derogatory just because you see things in a different light than designers. Grrr...don't get me started... AS to flosses. My first thought was do you use needles based on the thread count and number of threads you are using? That was something I didn't know for years! And as for me, I have a semblance of order to my floss storage: DMC by number, others by brand. And all silks (not many) in one grouping. NOW I am thinking that other than DMC, it would be best to group by color, because HONESTLY when I want to switch out to an overdyed, I spend an hour looking through each brand for just the right color. IF they were grouped by color, it would be SO much easier! I also need a DMC color card. I have a paper printout which really is not adequate or accurate at all! So I am Grateful that you asked this question so I can make it easier on myself! I will post it in Gladitudes! You should join us!

Catherine said...

Great post! Love the threads hanging from the chandelier! I keep mine by brand and then alphabetical ~ sometimes I think by color would be easier!!!
I think once you've swapped colors a time or two, you'll be switching all the time!

Annette-California said...

What beautiful and lovely new flosses. I have one of Nina's threads and I did stitch with it and it is wonderful floss. Nancy's flosses are also great to stitch with too. I store my DMC threads by number and the others, WDW and CC are kept alphabetically. But that works for me. I think your idea sounds good. Good luck. love Annette

Justine said...

Oh I'm with you on the swapping colours - to me it just feels too naughty! If the designer chose a certain colour there must be a reason. I don't mind if others do it, but it would make me a bit worried I think.

Your new threads look beautiful. I like DMC and have always used them but I have heard the quality is better here in the UK than in the States. I have ordered a chart from Nancy which she generously included the threads for so I am looking forward to trying them.

Emma/Itzy said...

You definitely need to add a link to your "incident" with the stitching and the fire ;)

Robin in Virginia said...

Great post, Shirlee! I don't think you are a moron at all! I keep my DMC in number order and my overdyes in alphabetical. I like swapping out colors or changing between floss lines since I try to make do with what I have.

You will enjoy stitching with Nancy's thread. I haven't tried Nina's yet, so looking forward to your review.

Robin in Virginia

Chris said...

ooh , I love floss fondling. Glad to know about Nina's threads.
I think that you will be switching out colors expertly in no time.
Hugs!

Myra said...

There aren't many things more lovely than a whole bunch of floss! Love the dining room pic.

La Petite Gallery said...

I always stop an look at the threads, love the silk and colors. Haven't done any needle work in years. You have a busy few months there. yvonne

Mii Stitch said...

Love, love, love your stash of floss!!! :) I usually use DMC & like you, recently noticed it is kind of shredding on some colours... I keep my started skein on a little bobbin in my box & it is by number. I don't tend to swap colours regularly but when I do, I chose one I like & don't care it it's not the best choice!!! :D

Karyn said...

I must say, Shirlee, that today I am thankful for you :) You are such a sweet ray of sunshine in the bloggie world…I look forward to your posts and you make me happy to be both a stitcher and your friend.
XO
Ma

Anonymous said...

dear Shirlee, I'm so glad you gave Nina's Threads a try! you'll love them!
I've been using her fabrics and fibers only for more than a year straight and I'm so glad I found her - plus she lives here in Europe, which means super fast deliveries! :)
you got the entire set!! lucky you!! with time I built up a small stock here at my place, lots of doubles and triples kitted up for big projects.. give me a few more months and I'll probably have one skein of each colour :D

as for storage, I keep my DMC arranged by code in their DMC binders, WDW, GAST and Nina's Threads in alphabetical order in floss-a-way bags (waaay cheaper and more functional, if only I found out about them sooner). the ones I'm using on WIPs are on key rings, the others in two floss-a-way cardboard boxes that fit those bags perfectly.

when it comes to changing colours, I don't take it as a bad thing - quite the opposite. I'm the one who has to be pleased by her stitching, so that's what I do - no matter how much time I have to spend picking my threads (which I don't mind, cause I actually love the entire process). I often switch pinks for reds or blues, add colours here and there, .. you can do it too, Shirlee. I'm no genius, trust me. you just have to learn how you like to do it, one step at a time.
if I were you, I'd start from Nina's website, she adds very useful notes to all her threads colours about DMC closer shades. just browse through them and see if there's anything matching (or closely matching) your project and see what happens. it's a good place to start. :)

I remember your flossed up chandelier, I'd love to have one myself one day. problem is I'm sure my cat would jump on it and swing like there's no tomorrow. :D
hugs and happy xxx,
chiara

Julie said...

Such a wonderful collection of threads, I haven't used Nina's but I have Nancy's and they are lovely.

Enjoy playing with the new stash!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I love your floss chandelier!

The new threads look beautiful too. I have an entire collection of DMC and a very few different threads which I rarely use because I don't want to use them up LOL.

I do swap colours and tend to rifle through my bags until I find a couple I like then put both of them on the fabric and chose from there.