Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmastime with Pearl

It was Christmas Day, 1957.  I was 4 years old.  This was the year that my friend Pearl came to live with me.

It was indeed a good Christmas!  I remember opening the box & seeing Pearl.  I also remember my mother saying that we looked like twins!  

Pearl was my best friend during my childhood.  However, somewhere, somehow, we were parted.  When I grew up, I searched high & low trying to replace my Pearl ... in stores, antique shops, etc ... but my efforts were in vain.  When a personal computer entered my life, I searched online but still could not find her.  Then suddenly, earlier this year, there she was ... on eBay.  I'm sure I tried the seller's patience by asking as many questions as I did, but I had to be sure the Pearl she was auctioning was "my Pearl." There are many different Pearls who were born in the late 50s/early 60s.  Different body types, different sizes.  Mine was the original Pearl.  Her body is made from what I describe as stuffed rubber.  I'm sure there's a technical term for this type of doll body although I don't know what that is.  The seller assured me this was "my Pearl."  I won the auction (woe to anyone who would have overbid me!) & when Pearl arrived, it was a wonderful reunion!  This Pearl even had a bent leg, just like "my Pearl" had!  

Pearl & I are happy to be reunited.  This is the first Christmas we will be spending together since I was a child.  Pearl is excited too!  Here she is admiring the tree after we decorated it together   : )  
"A friend loves at all times...."
Proverbs 17:17

24 comments:

The Inspired Stitcher said...

What a cool story and what a fun picture. Love it!

Kay said...

I am so glad that you and your friend re-connected and will be able to enjoy Christmas together for the first time in many years. Enjoy all your happy memories with her!

gracie said...

Love it

marly said...

Did I miss the tree post? Can we see more? Looks like lots of stitchery on it. Tease.

Carol said...

I love this story and the cute photo of you with your original Pearl, Shirlee! Wouldn't it be amazing if she was the exact one you owned as a girl? Your tree is looking so pretty with all those lovely stitched ornaments--glad Pearl enjoys it, too.

P.S. I think you need to make some little slippers for her--her little feet look a bit cold :)

Marilyn said...

You and Pearl are too cute!
Glad you reunited with her.
Marilyn

Catherine said...

Loved seeing the pic of you and Pearl on your first Christmas together! How fun that you were reunited!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Was her name "Poor Pitiful Pearl"? My aunt had one and she always spoke about her. I have two Terri Lee Dolls that were my mother's and my aunt's :) Thank you for sharing Pearl...she's a real gem!

pam said...

Pearl looks happy to be at her new home.

Pam in IL said...

How wonderful that you found Pearl! I'm sure you both are enjoying this Christmas season together. I've been looking for a doll that my sister had and lost many years ago. I've not been able to find her though.

Anonymous said...

Shirlee,
What a sweet story! I'm so glad you found her...It was meant to be!

Judy said...

What a lovely story. And to have the picture to go with it is even more special! Pearl looks like she is really enjoying the beautiful tree.

Glad to hear you recieved a call that your son would be fine.

Judy Heartland stitcher

Stitchy Mc Floss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ele said...

Aww! What a beautiful story, thank you so much for sharing!

Michelle said...

So happy that you were able to find her - lovely story thanks Shirlee xx

Sally said...

I love this Shirlee. I love a happy ending and am so glad that you and Pearl are getting to spend Christmas together again.

Chris said...

So glad that you guys are reunited. Your tree looks lovely.

Vickie said...

Yay! There she is! Believe it or not I had been wondering about your Pearl again. =) I agree with Carol. Little Pearl needs some footwear.
I see a doggie's rumpus in the picture Shirlee. Did you have a pug or something back then?

Trace4J said...

Welcome home to Christmas Pearl.
Great post.
Love the photo of you
Christmas Blessings

Kevin said...

Shirlee,
You truly have the gift for writing. I loved this story, and was so happy to see you found another Pearl - the picture of you and Pearl from the 1950's is just so sweet. And I love seeing your GORGEOUS tree in the photo with your new Pearl. Hope your day is happy and full of good things. You deserve them.

Julie said...

Congratulations on having Pearl as your friend again.

Maggee said...

What a great story! I had a teddy bear that I loved. He was not smooth type fur but a bit ruffled. And his eyes opened and closed like a baby doll! I LOVED my bear! My sisters used to tease me with it, tossing it between them with me in the middle trying to get it back! One time he got slammed and his eye chipped a little. Sniff... Anyway, I have no idea what happened to him when I left home because I left in a hurry and didn't take much but the clothes I needed. When I returned much later all my stuff was gone. I have tried occasionally to find him again, with no luck. I should try again... it could happen! Thanks for the memory! Hugs!

Simply Victoria said...

Sweet picture and story! I think you should make her a Christmas dress to celebrate being together again.

Marie said...

I love the picture of you with pearl :-) You know me, I love when you post pics of that sweet little doll.