Friday, January 3, 2014

Snow (Really!), a Cardinal, an SAL Update, & a Goal for 2014

It was very gray & overcast yesterday ... a perfect day for staying in bed.  It started out raining, but by mid afternoon it began to snow!!!  Well, I don't have to tell you that I was one very happy camper when I saw that happening!  It also became very windy for a while making the snow fall sideways!  I took this photo from the front porch late yesterday afternoon.

Before I went to bed, I decided to turn on the porch light & take a look out back.  I was thrilled to see huge flakes of snow coming down!  Here's what the above view looked like at 8 o'clock this morning!
I have been smiling so much that my face is hurting!!!  We have been imprisoned living here in The Devil's Playground for 5 years now & this is the very first time we've had snow that doesn't look like God opened up a talcum powder can & shook it over the grass a bit.  I can't see grass anywhere! 

I mentioned how windy it was yesterday afternoon.  Just look at this poor cardinal battling the wind when he came by to get a bite to eat!



Yesterday was my Snow Angel SAL day with Sally.  Thanks to everyone who suggested using one strand of floss over 2 on the 
36-count fabric.  I gave it a try & really liked how it looked, so I took out the stitches I did on New Year's Day with 2 strands (all 16 of them ... lol!) & started again using one.  I am really enjoying this project!  In fact, as I started to put it away last night, I regretted that I wouldn't be able to continue stitching it today !  Here is yesterday's progress.  
Tonight I will be adding perhaps not the last, but close to the last stitches in my Dames of the Needle ornament.

Last New Year's Eve I shared the following Resolve with you & I've decided to share it again.  I think it's a wonderful plan to incorporate into our lives   : ) 

21 comments:

Stitchy Mc Floss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vickie said...

Oh Shirlee! I am happy for you, really. You can have some of our snow. No, you can have it all. We haven't been without it for at least a month. Must be at least a foot and a half just frozen out there. It is currently 17º. I know. I know. You love all this stuff. COME TO WISCONSIN ALREADY!!
Snow Angel is so pretty already.
That is a very tall order to live up to every day. An excellent resolve though.

Danielle said...

Wow. You do not even know how much I needed to read that "resolve" passage today. Thank you for posting it. I am going to print out a copy to keep in my journal to look at each day.

Simply Victoria said...

Happy snow day, friend! That poor cardinal looks about done in.
Nice new start in your SAL.

Beth said...

Brrr! Poor cardinal. One strand for 36 count gives great coverage I have found and is much easier to work with.

Robin said...

I like your resolve but I love the your photos of poor Mr. Cardinal. We got the same a few hours after you.

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

You can have some of our snow! Beautiful cardinal; he must have been really hungry to battle that wind! I love 2 thread on 36 count fabric. Can't wait to see more!

gracie said...

I think Snow Angel is going to look lovely. Poor pretty cardinal....

Annette-California said...

What beautiful photos of the snow and the tree that has lights is gorgeous. I'm happy that your happy:)
Lovely start on your new project. The cardinal is spectacular with his red coloring and against the white snow. Happy New Year - love Annette

Sarah in Stitches said...

Beautiful snow! Oh, how I would love for it to snow here... Never gonna happen. Great progress on your SAL too! :D

Karol R Johns said...

The angel looks lovely so far! Looking forward to watching the progress. I also enjoyed reading the resolve what a wonderful plan!

Chris said...

Lovely Resolve. Great pic of the cardinal. We have no snow, just the cold. Your start on the angel piece looks wonderful.

Sherry said...

No snow here but we sure have the cold cold cold weather. I need to put out some food for our birds. They must be freezing!

Kim said...

If it's snow you want, I have tons of it here - free. Just come and get it :)

Krista said...

Yay for snow! Love that pretty cardinal. :)

Casa Pearl said...

What wonderful photos of that beautiful cardinal. Up here we have way too much of that white stuff to be excited about it! LOL We're pretty tired of it already and it's only the start.

Myra said...

I want some snow! The hot flashes are back so I would probably go outside and lie down in it. Mr. Cardinal looks quite cold but adds a wonderful pop of color to the landscape. Great start on Snow Angel - I miscounted and had to frog a lot of mine last night. Ugh! Stay warm my friend.

Trace4J said...

Beautiful snow, chilly cardinal and words.
Just a great post friend.
Snow happy here too :)
Woolie Blessings

jennifer768 said...

Snow,yep I bet you are still smiling.LOL! Love that passage,it is just so inspiring. Poor cardinal,it is beautiful against that snow. Can't wait to see your angel piece finished. Blessings,Jen

Julie said...

A beautiful picture of the cardinal. I've just watched the news of the bad weather over the pond, it looks so cold and freezing. Stay warm and cosy.

Maggee said...

Yahoo! Finally, you have/had snow! (too bad you are sick!!) None here, but yesterday it was seriously cold! Today it was close but a bit warmer in the afternoon... and up it goes. I copied the resolve picture--it's going on FB! Thanks for sharing! Hugs!