Sunday, August 17, 2014

Simple Gifts

This past week I have had many ideas for subjects to write about in today's post.  In fact, I have spent most of the day thus far going down one road, then another ... starting to write about first one of these subjects, then deleting what I had written & starting over with another.  In the midst of all this writing & deleting & writing again, I couldn't shake a very strong feeling about sharing a little struggle I was having in my life about two weeks ago & how God gifted it right out of me.  It seemed to me to be a very little thing to share, but apparently I'm meant to share it, so here goes.    

I have written before about how unfriendly people are here in The Devil's Playground. I'm not saying that every person in the state of Kentucky is unfriendly, but the people in this particular area are.  We have been living here a little over 5 years now & sometimes I really miss having a friend stop by for a cup of tea, or answering the phone & hearing a friend ask if I'd like to come shopping with her, or gathering my things together to join my friends at the local senior center for our weekly quilting time together.  I love John & he is my best friend on this earth, but there are times when I miss spending time with a woman friend. 

Two weeks ago I was really having a rough time with this.  For several days I felt extremely lonely & I just couldn't shake the feeling no matter how much I prayed, praised, gave thanks, or quoted scripture.  I kept telling myself that I had no reason to feel lonely.  Not only do I have a husband who loves me & cares about me ... I have God!  But the feeling of loneliness persisted. It was like a big dark cloud hanging over my life.  

One night when I went to bed, I prayed again for this feeling of loneliness to leave me.  I always set my radio alarm to wake me early so I can spend some quiet alone time with God.  The radio is set to a Christian station.  When the radio turned on the next morning, a song was just beginning to be played.  It was one of those mornings when I woke up fully awake, & the first words I heard from the song were ...

"You are not alone if you are lonely...."

A lovely gift of words from God to start my day & chase away that dark cloud   : )   The name of the song is All the People Said Amen ... a cheery little tune with a lot of wisdom in the lyrics.  I will put the link below.  I hope you enjoy it   : )

13 comments:

stitchersanon said...

Lovely. Are there any church groups or crafting groups in your area, or maybe you could start one yourself xx (((hugs)))

Robin in Virginia said...

I would love to stop by tea. Or better yet, I could have dragged you to the frame shop this afternoon. Thank you for sharing this song.

Robin in Virginia

Shebafudge said...

What a lovely way to know that God is watching out for you. A great way to start the morning. xx

vwestermeyer said...

oh Shirlee - I am so sorry that people aren't friendly in your area. I wish you lived closer .... I'd love to have the chance to hang out! Not all of us here in KY are unfriendly

butterfly said...

Every one feels lonely sometimes Shirley.
Maybe you could find a club , or start your own like I did.
And don't forget we are all here for you.
When I use to feel lonely when all the children have grown up , I would make myself get busy , now I never have enough hour's in the day.
I have many friends who are on their own who have lost their husbands , they don't hold back they go out one goes on hoilday on her own and makes loads of friends .
I take my hat off to them .
Hugs & kisses to you and yes we are never fully alone .

La Petite Gallery said...

Good Post Shirley,
I am a Gardner and Painter and long for solitude, but sometimes in the winter I can get lonely. Thank God for TV and the computer. yvonne

cucki said...

my dear i know how you feeling...
sometime i get lonely but i dont feel it..my feathered friends always sing for me and i stitch and dream and thank god for my computer friends and you all..
and GOD is always with me..
sending you big hugs x

Julie said...

A lovely tune and lyrics, bless you. xxx

Vicki said...

Thank you for this post, Shirlee. Isn't God awesome? He cares about even the smallest details of our lives and I'm always amazed at how He answers our prayers. He's so creative!

Simply Victoria said...

Wonderful song! Am sending you an email now.

KimM said...

Oh, how I'd love to stop over, visit and sip tea with you!! Maybe….someday….love and hugs from your friend in Iowa
xxx

Marie said...

Just another few reasons you would enjoy VT...The snowfall and a friend who would invite you to tea/coffee and for a day of quilting!

I truly get it...I too lived in a dreadful State where neighbors never spoke..."that is unless they were related" ~ Seriously, this is what a woman said to me!

Suggestions for meeting up with new people: Volunteering or is there a local quilt guild?

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

He works in mysterious ways, does he not?! :)