Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A Long Post About Tea

You may remember that last Christmas, some of the packages John placed under the tree for me contained tea.  All kinds of tea!  I have been having a ball throughout the year trying them all. Needless to say, they are almost gone now, but I purposely saved a box of various Christmas teas to try when this Christmas season was upon us.  I realize that its not even November yet, but I've been fighting off the urge to put out my decorations for a couple months now ... so yesterday I decided to begin sampling them.

These Christmas teas are made by DavidsTea, & each one has a delightful name such as Santa's Secret, White Chocolate Frost, Sleigh Ride, Gingerbread, & Spiced Fig, to name a few.  I didn't think I'd care for those last two, but they are quite good!  As if the delicious teas with catchy names weren't enough, someone at DavidsTea went the extra mile by adding such things as teeny tiny little red & white striped candy cane looking things to the Santa's Secret tea ...
... & gold balls, representing ornaments I'm guessing, to the tea called Glitter & Gold.
I am, of course, looking forward to trying the other offerings in the assortment  : )

After my usual morning routine, I decided to Google some tea stuff ... & what fun I've had!  This looks like it would be a good tea, doesn't it?  I mean, it's a pretty tin, so the tea has to be good, right?   : )  
I thought the following tea looked good as well, produced by adagio teas.  I've never heard of this company so will need to do a bit more research. The photo of the tea looks good, but it is not able to be copied.  The website, however, did have this little extra photo that was able to be, showing the ingredients blended with the black tea ... orange peel, star anise, cloves, & cinnamon.  I'd say that's a great combination ... & that cookie is really yummy looking too!
This was another interesting tea I found.  Not a Christmas tea, & I must admit I'm not an English Breakfast Tea fan (my apologies to my British friends), but I do love the tin   : )
I know that some of you are not tea lovers, & I can't help but wonder how you can't be?  Having a cup of tea can make special times even specialer!  Having a cup of tea can help you feel better when you're sick, or sad, or stressed, or upset.  Even Sheldon Cooper of The Big Bang Theory fame knows that "when someone is upset or sad, it is customary to offer them a hot beverage, such as tea."  There is even a Sheldon Cooper tea that I discovered, made by the above-mentioned adagio teas!  It sounds pretty tasty too!  It contains black tea, natural coconut flavor, mango pieces, dried coconut, natural mango flavor, & marigold flowers.
Some people like to drink their tea from a beautiful fine china tea cup, like this one.
Those cups are lovely for tea parties & such, but for me, I prefer a big mug.  I wish I knew where the woman in the following photo got her mug!  I would love to be able to get my hands around a big mug like that.  It's just the right size for me   : )
Of course Christmas tea is very special.  This is a lovely looking one, isn't it?  Alas, the company, TWG, is in Singapore, & I have not been able to find any indication of them shipping or selling it here.
Many women's groups have Christmas Teas each year at churches, restaurants, tea rooms, or in their homes.  How fun it would be to attend one!
I think a couple weeks before Christmas each year, a few ladies here in The Devil's Playground put on clean t-shirts & meet down by the river to share a six pack.    

Look at these delicious Christmas tea cookies I found available!
And these yummy pastries!
Celebrities referenced or pictured above, like Sheldon Cooper, & Mrs. Tiggy-winkle & Lucie, are not alone in their love of tea.  Here are a few more.

Pooh Bear drinks tea sweetened with honey.

Julia Child always unwound with a cup of tea.

The Beatles enjoyed tea.

Paul still does!

And here's the world's most famous tea drinker, starting her day off right   : )
Are you a tea drinker?  If so, please comment & share you favorite teas, tea experiences, etc   : )

22 comments:

Edgar said...

I love a nice Christmas Tea!!! and that Kusmi Tea was what I was looking for in Paris!! At some point I'll get my hands on some. Thanks for the snap.

Michelle said...

Lovely photos Shirlee. I love a cup of tea in the morning. It sets me up for the day. I drink about 6 cups a day I'd say but my all time favourite is Earl Grey I think all is right with the world when I sip this tea xx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I did a post about tea for my TUSAL post this month. I am not a tea drinker but I did spit coffee over my screen reading about the custom in the Devil's Playground of splitting a six pack! This is clearly something they have imported from their roots over here 😄

Terri said...

I love tea, too! My favorites are Chamomile and decaf Earl Grey. I'm allergic to caffeine, so I have to make sure I get the decaffeinated versions. Are there any decaf Christmas tea versions? I would love to try that! Wonderful post!

cucki said...

Aww sweet photo :)
I love rooibos tea so much
Big hugs xx

butterfly said...

Great tea post, I love tea and drink about 6/7 cups a day Just a simple English tea for me ,and maybe a few fruit ones in the summer months .

Robin in Virginia said...

I do drink tea, but my warm beverage preference would be coffee. I enjoyed reading your tea post today. It made me smile.

Robin in Virginia

Vickie said...

My favorite tea is by Stash and it is White & Raspberry.
What no picture of the ladies in their clean t-shirts and beer?!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Tea is my favourite beverage - I drink around twelve mugs of tea every day. Over here Marks and Spencer do a nice range of teas - the one I like the best is one of their single source teas from Kenya. Everything seems better with a cup of tea and even better still with a Rich Tea biscuit:-)

Justine said...

I love tea but it has to be English Breakfast Tea. Strong with lots of milk. Starbucks sell lovely tea. Thanks for this fun tea post!

gracie said...

I enjoy tea....I have a few that bloom, you know a flower that blooms with the hot water...have you tied any of them?

Julie said...

Hand up in the air ... yes me, I'm a big tea drinker.

Your post made me think of the song 'Everything stops for Tea'

EVERYTHING STOPS FOR TEA
Featured in Buchanan's 1935 comedy film, "Come Out Of The Pantry"
(Goodhart / Hoffman / Sigler)
Jack Buchanan


Every nation in creation has its favourite drink
France is famous for its wine, it's beer in Germany
Turkey has its coffee and they serve it blacker than ink
Russians go for vodka and England loves its tea

Oh, the factories may be roaring
With a boom-a-lacka, zoom-a-lacka, wee
But there isn't any roar when the clock strikes four
Everything stops for tea

Oh, a lawyer in the courtroom
In the middle of an alimony plea
Has to stop and help 'em pour when the clock strikes four
Everything stops for tea

It's a very good English custom
Though the weather be cold or hot
When you need a little pick-up, you'll find a little tea cup
Will always hit the spot

You remember Cleopatra
Had a date to meet Mark Anthony at three
When he came an hour late she said "You'll have to wait"
For everything stops for tea

Oh, they may be playing football
And the crowd is yelling "Kill the referee!"
But no matter what the score, when the clock strikes four
Everything stops for tea

Oh, the golfer may be golfing
And is just about to make a hole-in-three
But it always gets them sore when the clock yells "four!"
Everything stops for tea

It's a very good English custom
And a stimulant for the brain
When you feel a little weary, a cup'll make you cheery
And it's cheaper than champagne

Now I know just why Franz Schubert
Didn't finish his unfinished symphony
He might have written more but the clock struck four
And everything stops for tea

Simple Pleasure said...

Dearest Shirlee,
I am also a tea lover...my favorite is Twinings English Breakfast. I drink at least 6 huge mugs of tea daily.
If company is around, I brew tea in a teapot and snuggle a hand knit cozy around to keep the tea warm. A bit of sugar or honey plus fresh lemon are always the finishings of choice.
Those teacup cookies are precious...they wouldn't last long around me!
Hope today's tea is especially comforting.
Busy Hands...Happy Heart
Patricia

Carol said...

Oh, how I wish I liked tea (or coffee!), but the only hot drink I like is cocoa :) You certainly make it sound tempting with all of those flavored teas, Shirlee... Perhaps, I'll give tea another chance again this winter :)

Trace4J said...

Morning Friend
I've never been a big tea drinker.
Till this year when a dear friend sent me some pumpkin spice.
It is yummy.
When I have enjoyed tea I do like to sweeten with honey just like Pooh.
I used to only have tea when I was feeling sick but now I'm loving the treat.
Wonderful post friend.
Woolie Tea Hugs

KimM said...

What a great post! I, too, love tea - preferably from a BIG MUG, as well. You are a woman after my own heart.
Best wishes -
xxx

bettyj said...

I think the mug you like so well with the birds is an Emma Bridgewater.

Sally said...

What a fantastic post Shirlee. I love Lady Grey and have also just discovered Chai tea which is rather nice. I would love to try some Sheldon Cooper tea! It sounds delicious!

Pam in IL said...

I'm not a tea drinker, but I'm commenting anyway, lol. I enjoyed the post and seeing all the different teas and tea drinkers.

Kaisievic said...

Hi Shirlee, I am lucky as I like both tea and coffee but you are right, a cup of tea can be very special. Loved your long tea post. Now, I must tell you two things. Firstly, I had afternoon tea at TWG when I was in Singapore, you can read about it at this post http://kittenstitching.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/out-and-aboutholiday-post-4-singapore-4.html

Secondly, when were in London in 2006 we were all walking down a main road in Soho and we saw Paul McCartney, he smiled at us and said "hello". It was such a thrill to see a Beatle in the flesh.
hugs, Kaye

Maggee said...

Nope, don't drink coffee or tea... But it looks like fun! I like mocha flavored stuff, but not straight coffee. Hugs!

Marsha said...

Every morning I have coffee and every afternoon I have tea. My absolute favorite (i buy it by the pound and it lasts a year) is ginger peach by Republic of tea. In the evening I'll have some kind of caffeine free tea like roobios or pomegranate white or a Celestial Seasoning non caffeine tea. The caffeine in tea affects me much more than in coffee. Tea of Good Tidings is another favorite of mine by Republic of tea or Blueberry Green, Double Green Matcha. My tea cabinet is embarrassing but, I think you get it.