Sunday, October 26, 2014

Be Thankful

Throughout the difficulties I've encountered recently, various scriptures floated through my mind ... most of all Psalm 107:1.  No matter what happens, the Lord is with me.  I sadly know & have known people who do not have the Lord in their lives.  When they are faced with various difficulties ... 

medical problems, either their own or those of friends or family members

identity theft

a septic system malfunction that floods their floors

you name it

... when they are faced with anything upsetting, their immediate reaction is to complain, scream, curse, blame, cry, worry, get angry, throw things, etc.  I embarrassingly admit that I used to be that way once upon a time.  It was not a good way to be.  

Despite the problems I've experienced recently & the problems that may be looming ahead, I felt & am feeling thankful.  Thankful that I can trust God with my health & well being.  Thankful that God led me to check my bank account the exact morning the first fraudulent charges were shown as pending on my statement.  Thankful that the flooding problems occurred when John & I were home.  

The Bible says to be thankful in all things (1 Thessalonians 5:13).  I remember bad periods of my life when someone would quote this scripture to me & I would wonder if this was some kind of joke.  Be thankful when the doctor tells you that you have cancer?  Be thankful when your house burns down or is destroyed by a tornado?  Be thankful when your child gets involved with drugs? Yes, be thankful ... because if you have God in your life, you can be thankful every second of every day, despite what is happening in your life, because He is with you.  You can lean on Him.  He will help you get through it.  He will never leave you nor forsake you (Deuteronomy 31:6).

Give thanks to the Lord for He is good:  His love endures forever!   

7 comments:

Vickie said...

Amen! He is who I turn to first in everything.

Kaisievic said...

Oh Shirlee, I am so glad that you have Him in your life to help you give thanks for this wonderful, mysterious journey which we are all on.

Trace4J said...

Wonderful post.
I agree too.
SO thankful.
Woolie Fall Blessings

KimM said...

Beautifully said.
hugs
xxx

Simple Pleasure said...

Dearest Shirlee
This was a very inspiring post...beautifully written. We all have so much to be thankful for...
Busy Hands...Happy Heart
Patricia

Pam in IL said...

Sometimes I need to be reminded to be thankful in all circumstances but as I look back on those times, I see that it was always Him that got me through it.

Maggee said...

I agree wholeheartedly! Sometimes, at a dark time, it IS hard to do, but... in reality, as a believer, I take a step back, and put it in perspective--this is just temporary! We will go to a MUCH better place! And all this will fade! So I give thanks--you bet! Hugs!