Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

John & I awoke to a beautiful morning!  We were blessed with a delightful 54-degree temperature last night with the predicted temperature today being 77 degrees.  The sun was shining, the cloudless sky was a beautiful shade of blue, & it wasn't hard to imagine a little nip of fall in the air.

John said he was going to walk to a few stores to enjoy the weather rather than drive to them.  He asked me to come along, but I declined.  There were some things I wanted to take care of here, plus I wanted to go to one of the furniture stores in town to see if I could finally find a nice sofa so we wouldn't have to sit on the floor anymore.

Since the furniture store wasn't going to be opening for another 2 hours, I began to unpack a box of things to put in the bedroom closet.  I then found things in that closet that needed to go to one of the storage units.  I moved them to another room to take care of at another time.  I went upstairs & looked through a few crochet books I had recently purchased, then sorted through more things to list on eBay.  There were some boxes piled willy-nilly at the top of the stairs, so I sorted through them & neatened them up a bit, then came into this room where my computer is & sorted & neatened a bit in here as well.  I carried a few things downstairs, looked into the dining room & saw some boxes there that I knew needed to go to one of the storage units. Boxes of books.  Eight boxes of books.  I decided to move them over next to the back door where it would be convenient for John to take them to the car.  Things were going well until I picked up the 8th box.  I immediately felt a sharp pain in my lower back, & I immediately thought "You idiot!!!"  I was diagnosed with OA in my lumbar spine many years ago.  I know better than to lift heavy boxes of books.

I knew I had an ice pack & surprisingly remembered where it was ... in the bathroom cupboard rather than in the freezer.  It's in the freezer now & hopefully will be ready to bring a wee bit of relief to my back in the not too distant future.  Of course without a sofa or chair to sit in, getting comfy with an ice pack is going to be difficult   : (

After the initial blinding pain, I hobbled over to the steps, sat down, talked with God for a while, & marveled at just how stupid I can be.  I also thought about how we never know from one moment to the next what will happen in our lives. There I was, one moment accomplishing something, planning to do some shopping, etc ... & the next moment painfully incapacitated.

If you could manage to say a prayer or two for me today, I would most definitely appreciate it.  

21 comments:

Kate said...

I'm so sorry that happened to you :-( I pray you find relief soon. Get some rest.

Robin in Virginia said...

I do feel your pain, Shirlee. I stepped out of the car this AM; one foot landed on level pavement and one landed in a pothole of sorts. Ouch! I will certainly lift you up in prayer for you. Hope you find a couch and/or chair soon.

Robin in Virginia

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Oh Shirlee, Shirlee, Shirlee, what are we going to do with you? Do try to take care of yourself!

Hope your back soon recovers, in the mean time, let John lift anything heavier than a cup of tea for you.

EvalinaMaria said...

You got it, the prayer was sent. I hope you fell better. Hugs.

Vicki said...

Ouch! Praying for quick relief...

Julie said...

love and {gentle hugs} xxx

Rhona said...

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Susan said...

Hi Shirlee - you definitely get prayers from me. Please take it easy. I know it is so hard to do. My mind thinks my body can do things I did in my 20's.

I am still interested in wool fabric for braiding rugs in case you come across any that you would like to part with.

Behave & take care!
Susan

Maggee said...

Oh gee, I am sorry that happened!! I know in the past week, I did something to myself that made me sore for a bit... but nothing serious like you! I will pray for healing so that you can continue in settling down. Hugs!

Shebafudge said...

Prayers definitely coming your way Shirlee. xxx

Vickie said...

I am praying for you dear. I hate setbacks, but it happens. I hope you recover quickly.

Hazel said...

Oh dear. Rest up and no more lifting!

Kaisievic said...

Oh no, Shirlee! Lots of prayers winging your way from Oz, I so sympathise as I well know the pain of a bad back. Take care of yourself, my dear.

marly said...

We all push ourselves and think we'll be fine so don't beat yourself up. You're already in too much pain.

Purple Pixie Dust said...

Oh, my God I have done that too, I will pray for you to feel better soon. Sofia will have to wait for another day. Hope you find some place comfortable to sit. Big, big hugs from Lynda Ruth

stitchersanon said...

It's an easy mistake to make sweety..don't be too hard on yourself. Backs are a nuiscance for going wrong..so sending you very soft and light hugs and the odd prayer that the pain goes soon.

gracie said...

Oh no! Please try to be more careful. I hope you will feel better soon.

Justine said...

You are in my prayers. Perhaps He is trying to suggest that you should have a clear out?!

Pam in IL said...

UGH! I hope you're feeling better today. I've done it too :(

Frances said...

So sorry you're "down in the back"! I hope you will feel better soon and will say a prayer for you!

Sally said...

I hope you are doing a little better soon. I know it can take time as both my Dh and I suffer with our backs. Thinking of you my friend.