Monday, October 22, 2012

Shirlee's Birthday

Shirlee's 2nd Birthday
October 21, 1955

Shirlee's 59th Birthday
October 21, 2012

2-year-old Shirlee had no idea
 what the ravages of the next 57 years 
would amount to!

I had a very nice birthday this year & I received some lovely emails & e-cards wishing me a happy day & year & some presents as well   : )

Jo made me the prettiest stitched birthday card & she made sure to point out the french knot she used to dot the "i" in my name   : )
Michelle sent me a very cute card along with this beautiful little red & white pillow. She & I both love birds & we are both trying to amass a collection of little red & white pillows  : )
Paula from Portugal (no blog) sent me 2 special CDs.  One of them has songs relating to winter & of course we all know the reason for that choice   : )   The other CD features songs by Portuguese artists she admires.  She also stitched me a lovely welcome ornament   : )
June sent a heavenly scented package which included a pretty card along with 2 rose sachets, some pompom trim, a few Christmas charms, a needle minder, & a beautiful stitched rose pillow   : )
Last, but not least, Vickie remembered me commenting once upon a time that I didn't have any counting pins & she made some very pretty ones for me   : )   She also looked closely at pictures of my Sophie which have appeared on my blog from time to time & she made me this sweet ornament featuring Sophie's likeness.  Sophie was made using Ghiordes knots, also known as the Turkey Rug stitch because it is used to make Turkish rugs.  Lots & lots of little loops are made & then cut for a shaggy or fur-like effect.  She sent a cute little birdie card as well   : )
 

27 comments:

Deborah said...

Happy belated birthday! You received some lovely gifts.

Nancy said...

Happy Belated Birthday Shirlee!!! Looks like you got a lot of very nice gifts. I love the ornament with the likeness of Sophie. What kind of fabric is that done on? I tried looking closer at the picture but I couldn't tell. I hope you had a great day!

Leanna said...

Awww, Shirlee! Happy Birthday!!
Looks like a lot of wonderful women think quite a lot of you...that's really really obvious. All the best to you, have a great year. Hope you have nothing but good things to tell us...we all love your blog...
Leanna
Pssst: where did you get MY birthday photo...posing shyly with my cake and all...

Nicola said...

Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday Dear Shirlee
Happy Birthday to You.

Michelle said...

I love your 'age' pictures - ha ha. You had some lovely things Shirlee and I am glad you were spoilt xx

butterfly said...

Happy Birthday Shirlee you had some wonderful gifts , Friendship in the blog land is so great don't you think.
What a pretty girl in the photo, you were a little sweetie.
Have a wonderful week, hugs.

Kaisievic said...

Happy Birthday Dear Shirlee, such lovely gifts you received, so well deserved.

I hope that you had an absolutely fabulous day.

Have you entered my giveaway yet? Please do - I love to give things away.

hugs, Kaye

Chris said...

It looks like a wonderful birthday Shirlee. What lovely thoughtful gifts.

Trace4J said...

Happy Belated Birthday Friend
What wonderful birthday gifts.
You are loved.
Have a wonderful day.
Blessings
Trace


www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Vickie said...

Hooray for you Shirlee! I am so glad you enjoyed Sophie. =) I hope it does look a lot like her?! Nancy from above asked about the fabric. Well, Shirlee your guess is as good as mine. It was in my stash and I thought it complimented Sophie's colors well. God bless you Shirlee. ;)

Julie said...

Happy belated Birthday.
Lovely gifts and cards.

Dawn said...

Happy Belated birthday Shirlee, what wonderful gifts! Stay blessed.

Sally said...

Happy Belated Birthday my dear friend. You received some gorgeous gifts {{{{hugs}}}}

Angela said...

Happy Belated Birthday Shirlee :) Love your gorgeous gifts!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Great Birthday pics. Nice to see you eating healthily, that is lettuce all around the cake?

I love the gifts you were sent, especially the red pillow. Off to make a memo for next year!!

Krista said...

Happy Birthday Shirlee! What sweet surprises you received! :)

Hazel said...

Happy Birthday to you dear stitching friend. xxx

Carol Stuck said...

Happy Birthday, sweet friend. Love all your birthday goodies.

hugs!
Carol

Kendra said...

Yes, happy belated birthday my friend!

You are so funny...where does one find a hippo with a birthday cake picture anyway?

Kendra

Carol said...

Such a wonderful birthday, Shirlee!! Enjoy all those goodies from your stitching friends and thanks as always for making me laugh!! Love the hippos birthday cake photo :)

marly said...

Hope you had a peaceful and joyous birthday. You have some wonderful and thoughtful friends. Very nice gifts!

Annette-California said...

Happy Birthday Shirlee! Lovely gifts and surprises you received. Love all the hand stitched pretties:))) Sophie heart pin cushion is amazing.
love Annette

cucki said...

happyyyyyyyyyyyyy
happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
and big happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
birthday to you dear shirlee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Joysze said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Shirley!! What lovely and wonderful gifts!!

I bet 2 year old Shirley had no idea what a wonderful person she'd grow up into. :D

Marie said...

As always...THANKS FOR THE LAUGHS. The 59th Pic is SOOOOO funny. :D
HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY ~ I hope that your day was filled with much fun and happiness.

You sure did receive some wonderful birthday surprises!

Catherine said...

A very Happy Birthday to you! What lovely gifts you have received!!

geeky Heather said...

ROTFL!! I am very behind on blog reading but wanted to say "Happy Birthday" even though it's late.

That's some kind of fun house mirror you're standing in front of in your latest birthday picture. ;)