Friday, November 2, 2012

That Was Then, This Is Now

The Evening of November 2, 1969

My husband & I attended a Janis Joplin concert at the Civic Arena in downtown Pittsburgh.  I was 15, John was 16.  Although we had met in high school the year before & we had spent time together in school, out of school, & at his home from time to time, this was our first real date.  This evening also marks our first kiss & our first hand holding.

I did not bring my camera to record the event.

Janis appeared with the Kozmic Blues Band.  Santana was her opening act.


The Evening of November 2, 2012

My husband & I took an afternoon nap.  Upon awakening we checked our computers & then discussed what to have for dinner.  We decided on something light & simple.  A bowl of cereal ... Frosted Flakes for John, Lucky Charms for me ... but oh dear!  No milk!  We drove 3 miles to bustling downtown Perryville to buy milk at the General Dollar store.

I brought my camera with me to record the event.

We held hands as we walked into the store but not on the way out because our hands were full.  In addition to the milk, we also came home with some pop, some orange juice, a can of Pringles, a package of Smarties, & 8 Peanut Butter Bars.

We had no idea on that date long ago that this would be our lives 43 years into the future   : )

16 comments:

Samplers, Silks and Linens said...

hey at least after all these years you two are still holding hands - I think thats sweet.

Judy said...

How cute! And what a fun way to celebrate that anniversary. Times do change over the years and we are all ok with that. You sure will have more great treats to eat at your house!

Enjoy,
Judy heartland stitcher

Danice G said...

Shirlee, that is something. It's so good that y'all have been together for so long. What a sweet celebration you two had today going to the Dollar Store.Plus, you got to see Janis Joplin live way back then. Thanks for sharing this with us :)

Leanna said...

Shirlee, how adorable you are...and guess what...
You win!!!

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

My how things change. I always wonder what happens to our spunk!
But at least you still hold hands!
Janice Joplin??? ~ I wish I could say I saw Janice Joplin.
Your post always make me smile.
TFS
Prim Blessings
Robin

butterfly said...

Lovely story Shirlee , thanks for sharing , hugs

cucki said...

It is truly so sweet..thank you for sharing xxx

Peggy Lee said...

Aww...I love this story!
Congratulations for staying together 43 years (and counting). It's rare these days.

I've got to get Masterchief to read this one. We both enjoy your posts so much.

Peggy Lee said...

After chuckling at this post, this comment is from Masterchief.....
"Her profile says here she's been married for 36 years."
Leave it to him to notice that one, huh?
He also wanted me to congratulate you two. ♥

Mii Stitch said...

Awww such a sweet post!!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I would say that you waited 7 years to get married in that case? Did you wait to see if you'd survive the 7 year itch? LOL.

How sweet that you still hold hands ( except when they are full of milk!). It's lovely to compare how much your lives have changed but the love is still the same.

Vickie said...

Yes, I too am happy the two of you still hold hands. What a "sweet" celebration the Dollar General has brought you.

marly said...

Yep. The only consolation is that we are still HERE to see the transformation!

Chris said...

Wonderful. Thanks for sharing this.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Too funny. I wouldn't have the foggiest clue of my first date with Mr. Crow. Well, perhaps b/c it would be hard to pin down...and I really don't want to remember. He stood me up several times before finally showing. I really am the sort who would not give someone who stood me up even once a second chance (especially since I wasn't keen on saying yes to the date in the first place) - but after he did it twice, I had to go just to see what he thought he was to be able to do that....Big mistake. :o Robin

bettyj said...

That is a sweet story with a happy ending!Love the Dollar General store, myself.