Monday, December 31, 2012

Wishing You a Happy New Year!!!

Aren't vintage postcards & greeting cards beautiful?  I have several sets/collections of vintage greeting cards, complete with envelopes ... some with their original boxes ... that I bought many, many years ago in antique stores.  They are all unused & in great condition.  They've been ... anyone want to take a guess? ... in a moving box for who knows how many years.  I'm sure they didn't cost much money back then, otherwise I would not have them.  However, I stumbled upon a box of used cards at an antique mall 2 years ago & thought maybe I'd take them home with me.  Nope.  I don't remember how many there were but they all fit into a medium sized Ziploc bag , & if I remember correctly, the asking price was either $18 or $35!    

I went rummaging around online to find an appropriate vintage postcard New Years greeting to give to all of you.  I found several that I liked & then narrowed them down to 3. Of course the one above with the birds really appealed to me, but I wanted to convey some sort of message.  This next one best expresses some of what I'd like to say.  
In my search I came across this next card. Not a vintage card, by any means.  Not even a New Years card per se, but it perfectly expresses a pretty darn good idea if you ask me ... an idea I resolve to follow every day of the year   : )
Along with the sentiments in these 3 cards I've shared, my personal prayer is that the new year will be a better year for all of us than the one that is ending!!!

My Aunt Dorothy used to always say that whatever it is you do on New Years Eve, that's what you'd be doing all through the new year.  I'm pretty sure she meant New Years Eve evening, thank goodness, because yesterday I came down with some kind of crud & I've had body aches, itchy eyes, coughing, a runny nose, & a sore throat ever since.  I was tired as could be last night but I barely got any sleep.  Today I have a new patient appointment with an endocrinologist in Louisville.  As I crawled out of the recliner this morning (couldn't lie down in bed), I decided I'd stay home ... but I had to wait a long time for this appointment, & I'm feeling a wee bit better now, so hopefully he won't mind me showing up with a sore throat, an intermittent cough, a semi runny nose, & looking like crap.  Tonight ... what I believe was what my aunt was referring to as New Years Eve ... if I'm still alive, I will be stitching. Therefore, if her old saying is true, I should be stitching away throughout 2013.  Sounds good to me   : )

15 comments:

Девушка с пяльцами said...

Shirlee, Happy New Year to you and your relatives! May it bring a lot of fun and happiness!

Vickie said...

That sounds like a good year to come then!
I am sorry you are sick. I have prayed for you.♥ Glad you are going to the doctor as planned.
Your third postcard gives us quite a bit to live up to doesn't it?!?
I chose a vintage New Year's postcard for my post last night too. ;)

Judy said...

Stitching on New Years Eve sounds good to me---I will join you! Not sure I will make it to midnight--but I'll try! Sorry you have some crud! Hope it goes away quickly. Happy New Year.

Judy heartland stitcher

butterfly said...

Oh Shirlee what beautiful cards I just love them, I had a box full given to me when I was a child , and from then on I have loved vintage things, I no longer have my cards my mother must misplaced them when we moved house. Wishing you and your family a wonderful New Year with loads of stitching, hugs.

Sally said...

Happy New Year my dear friend. Those postcards are lovely.

Hope your appointment goes well and that you feel much better soon xxx

marly said...

I like the last card's instructions. Hope all goes well at the doctors. But something good on the way home and have a great new year!

Mii Stitch said...

Enjoy your stitching & hope you get well soon. Wishing you a Happy & prosperous New Year!

frontporchprims said...

Hi Shirlee. Sorry about the crud. We are just barley getting over it here after 2 weeks and antibiotics. Good luck with the appt. today. The vintage postcards are pretty. I would have a hard time narrowing it down too. It's getting harder and harder to find things like that. Someday, they will all but gone. I am glad you have some of your own. Have a happy New Year. Nothing like bringing in the New Year while relaxing with some stitching between your fingers. -Steph-

~Sara said...

Happy New Year Shirlee! It was
nice to get to know you this year.
I love all of the vintage cards. Blessings for a wonderful 2013.
~Sara

Ranae said...

I love those vintage cards. I cherish my vintage valentines from grade school
Check out my blog, you won the chart
Happy stitching 2013!!!

jennifer768 said...

Happy New Year!Shirlee praying that you are feeling better soon my friend.Hugs,Jen

Myra said...

I was stitching in the new year last night Shirlee so hopefully that is a good sign. I do hope you feel better soon - I continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Happy 2013!

Chris said...

Happy New Year Shirlee!
I hope that you are feeling better. I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Andrea said...

I hope you will be feeling better soon.

Happy New Year!

Kaisievic said...

Of course you will be stitching - as will we all!