Sunday, August 18, 2013

Interrupting IHSW for a Brief Message - With Addendum

Good morning!

Not that anyone has asked, but I'm doing quite well on the stitching front this weekend! I have completed 2 ... yes, that's 2 ... smalls & will be starting another today   : )   I could have started it earlier this morning due to the fact that I woke up at 4 a.m. all bright eyed & bushy tailed, but I'n not sure the fabric I picked out for it is just right, & I could't go digging through my fabric to see if I had anything else since John decided to sleep upstairs last night & rummaging around up there would've woken him.

I am making this interruption post to show you how I store my DMC floss.  I know a lot of people unskein their floss & wrap it on bobbins.  I must admit that this puzzles me. So much extra work!  In my stitching life #2, I developed a bag & store method that I find quite satisfactory.  I store my DMC floss skeins in small snack baggies along with an index card to back them which helps keep the baggies upright   : )   I chose to place 4 different floss numbers, all in numerical order of course, in each snack baggie & made labels for each one showing the numbers.  I then file the baggies numerically in 3 plastic shoe boxes with lids.  The floss skeins I need for a project are thus very easy to find & put away.



ADDENDUM:  I have received a couple comments asking what I do with leftover threads from the skeins I use.  I simply wrap them around my fingers & insert the remainder of the skein into them.  You can see 2 of the skeins in the bag below have little circles of remaining floss wrapped around them   : )
My "designer flosses" ... WDW, GAST, etc ... are another matter entirely.  I used to store them alphabetically on large binder rings & I had them hanging around my dining room chandelier only because that's where I organized them & it was easy to hang a binder ring on the chandelier when it got filled up.  I can't find those photos now, but when we decided to sell the house I decided it was time to change the chandelier setup. The flosses are now less impressive, yet easily accessed, hanging in an upstairs storage closet.
And that's all for this morning folks!  I hope all you IHSW participants are having fun stitching this weekend & that all the rest of you are having fun in other pursuits   : )

23 comments:

Vickie said...

Um, well,no I am not having fun at all this weekend, but that is another matter.
I wanted to say that now maybe you need to give back the silver sloth award? Or pass it on to me? Or maybe I could be excused for being ill?
You system of floss storage is great. So very neat and organized. I developed an extremely simple system when I was 18 and have stuck with it. Maybe I should post about it sometime too?

Robin in Virginia said...

Looking forward to seeing your finishes from the weekend, Shirlee! Enjoyed reading about your floss storage and organization. What do you do with the loose bits of cut threads when you return the skeins to their baggie?

Robin in Virginia

CalamityJr said...

Love your "designer" floss rings! Hope you find a photo of them on the chandelier, just for fun. I, too, don't understand rewinding entire skeins, then having nowhere to put the leftover snippets. I'm a small baggie person, too, but haven't used the cards to make them sturdier. Hmmm... Thanks for sharing!

Mii Stitch said...

I'm drooling on the screen!!! SO MUCH FLOSS!!! It's heaven... and very organised :) Can't wait to see your finishes, take care x

Pam in IL said...

My goal is to keep my skeins in snack baggies and boxes too, but I just haven't taken the time to sit down and do it. My designer threads are all in plastic baggies kept on binder rings. I have a thing about keeping left over threads with the skein so that I can use them again on another project, so all my skeins will be in their own baggie.

Can't wait to see the stitching you've working on!

marly said...

Perfect storage Miss Shirlee. The bags fit perfectly in those boxes.

Catherine said...

One day, I hope to be organized again! Love the chandelier idea ~ I can only imagine my hubby and boys if I did that ~ they would think I was completely off my rocker!

Linda said...

Neat storage system. I store my extra DMC floss in baggies with the numbers on the outside. But, I have one of each color on bobbins and stitch with those.

Linda

cucki said...

aww i am drooling too..lol..yummy floss.
cant wait to see your stitching.
big hugs x

Marilyn said...

Nice system.
I am looking forward to your Finishes from the weekend!
Marilyn

Chris said...

WOW! I wish that I was this organized :)

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

I love your system of organizing!! I may have to try the hanging of my over dyed floss.. Thanks for sharing Shirlee.

Myra said...

Seeing your DMC system makes me wish mine wasn't all wound up on those bobbins. Your needle is smoking this weekend!

Unknown said...

Hi, I am new to your blog. I love the DMC system you have, looks amazing.

Best wishes,
Lesleyanne Smith.

http://myfrozensunshine.blogspot.com/

butterfly said...

Thanks for showing us how you store your threads I do mine very much the same, so much better than the bobbins hugs.

Annette-California said...

Congrats on your 2 finishes! Looking forward to seeing what you stitch next:)Beautiful flosses and good organization. love Annette

Sarah in Stitches said...

Good system! I really like how you've hung the "designer" threads up. Very creative!

Melissa said...

I love this set up! Very creative and I imagine it must me so easy to store floss. I'm certainly not as organized haha. I also love the specialty floss set up!

Thanks for sharing!

Julie said...

They look great hanging in the closet.

Peggy Lee said...

Love that floss in the closet! It saved me once.
Good idea with your DMC's. I have all mine stuffed in a Ziploc somewhere.

Simply Victoria said...

Nice organization. The little bags make a lot of sense.

Kaisievic said...

Really great organisational tips, Shirlee. I am really impressed.

Melody said...

I like your floss organization methods. I became a floss wrapping bobbin girl a long time ago, and it's too late to change now...LOL. However, I see the merits of your method. I am completely disorganized in the overdyed floss storage method. I like what you've done, however, I have no handy extra closet space. hmmm.