Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday Morning

"...In this world you will have trouble.
But take heart!  I have overcome the world."
John 16:33

We've heard it time & time again ... nothing is too difficult for God.  Of course we are also familiar with the trouble there is in the world.  We may not experience this trouble ourselves all the time, but we will have our share of it & we will certainly witness it in the lives of others.

Everyone has troubles of one sort or another.  I was recently rather shocked by an online friend I've known for a few years who I thought had an idyllic life.  I happened to share with her something relating to my own life & she saw a parallel between the two of us & told me a few things about her own life that I would've never thought could be possible.  I had always sort of envied her because she always seemed so happy, so content, so "together."  Now I envy her for the way she handles the cards she was dealt in life.

Let me say for a moment that I have always used the word "envy" without malice of any kind.  I read a book years ago where the author defined "envy" as seeing what someone else possesses & wishing that you had it instead of them.  I would never wish such a thing.  My use of the word "envy" is rather looking at what someone else possesses & wishing I had it as well.  In the case of this friend, I wish I could handle the cards I've been dealt in my life as well as she handles her cards.

Okay ... having cleared that up, let's move on.  The best way to handle your troubles is to give them to God.  God tells us plainly in the verse above that we will have trouble in this world.  However, He also tells us not to be dismayed because He is bigger than any trouble we could possibly have!  There are many, many verses in the Bible where He speaks encouragement to us ...

Isaiah 41:10 - "...do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you & help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

John 14:27 - "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you....Do not let your hearts be troubled & do not be afraid."

Psalm 46:1-3 - "God is our refuge & strength, an ever-present help in trouble.  Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way & the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar & foam & the  mountains quake with their surging...."

Psalm 55:22 - "Cast your cares on the Lord & He will sustain you...."

1 Peter 5:7 - "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you."

... just to name a few   : )

We often tend to think that "the grass is always greener on the other side."  It may appear to be, but it's really not.  Sometimes we think our troubles are beyond what anyone else could imagine but then we come in contact with someone whose troubles are much worse than our own & we wonder how in the world they even get out of bed in the mornings!  The answer is this ... they don't dwell on their problems, they give them to God.  It's the smartest thing any of us can do.

2 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

Very well said Shirlee, and a healthy reminder. I think we all, at some point, fall into that trap of coveting someone else's life....sometimes to the extent of thinking that everyone's life must be "better" (or even just "more normal") than ours. But, in most every case, we don't always see the whole picture - every one has their baggage, burdens, and crosses. How they carry them, is another story....Blessed Sunday to you! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

renee said...

I totally concur! I try very hard not to covet! I am blessed and thankful for everything God has entrusted me with. No one has a perfect life for sure, I agree with Robin, it's all in how we carry things, and I also think of the addage, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it all, and then some you don't want!
Blessings and hugs,
Renee