Saturday, July 21, 2012

Does Anyone Know What This Fluff Is?

For the past 3 years I have been dealing with this strange "fluff" ...

... not to be confused with this Fluff ...
... which is delicious to eat straight from the jar with a spoon or shoveled into a cup of hot cocoa or piled high on top of ice cream. You can't eat the fluff in the first photo. Well, I guess you could if you were bent on doing so, but why would you?  

Back to the question at hand.  Does anyone know what that fluff in the first photo is?  It is not a big dust bunny & it is not a conglomeration of Sophie hair.  It not only makes its home underneath dressers, beds, & other pieces of furniture ... blowing out into our walking paths from time to time ... but it adheres to the bottoms & sides of furniture legs as though it's adhering to fly paper.  It won't suck off with a vacuum cleaner, it won't dust off ... John has to literally get down on his hands & knees & crawl around on the floor to pry it off the furniture legs with his fingers.  

I am not a cleaning maniac but I am not a slovenly pig either.  I will tell you that I will clean my floors fluff free & a few days later there it is again ... fluff everywhere.  I have never seen this fluff anywhere else I've ever lived or visited & believe me, I've been around the block a few times.  When the air conditioner repair guy was here recently I scooped up a handful & asked him if he knew what it was ... was it perhaps coming from the air ducts?  He looked at it strangely & said he had no idea.  He said that it can't be from the air unit because the filters are designed to catch that kind of stuff.  

I've had wooden floors in the past but I never experienced fluff invasion until moving here.  I've likewise never had this problem with carpeted floors.  Why here?  Is it "a Kentucky thing?"  Are John & I breathing in some microscopic fluff that is akin to breathing in asbestos?  

If, along with me, you have no idea what this fluff is ... do you have any idea who I could contact to find out?            

14 comments:

Nancy said...

I have come across very small bits of fluff before but it usually has pet fur in it. I was thinking that maybe you should check to make sure that you dryer is venting properly. I had a time when my dryer was in the garage and someone knocked the vent pipe off of the vent and eventually I had fluff building everywhere across the floor. Took me awhile before I found where it was coming from.

marly said...

First thing I would do is put screening or cheesecloth over the cold air returns and all ductwork registers and see if any collects. If it's coming from the ductwork, call a furnace guy. Could the intake be pulling it from something in the basement or loose insulation from the garage or somewhere? Maybe someone from a home improvement place will recognize it.

Pam in IL said...

We have that fluff too. I just always assumed it came from the furnace ducts. However, we haven't had to use the furnace for months now and I still have it accumulating so... I guess maybe not. Maybe it's coming from the furniture and bedding?

My mom uses the expensive furnace filters and she says it has really helped. She gets the 3M Filtrete filters and they are the finest ones (and also the most expensive).

Cathy B said...

Odd - wonder if it is from the furnace ducts or cold air returns?

Simple Pleasures said...

Hi,
What a crazy and interesting bunch of fluff. I am so curious to find out what it is as I have no idea! Please keep us updated, I love a good mystery.
Have a nice weekend.
Michelle

Danice G said...

I agree with Nancy: Check your dryer vent. Sometimes the duct work gets holes, or is loose and not sealed securely around the dryer vent hole. 'May just need a new aluminum or plastic coil from dryer. Also, natural gas heat will cause these strange "fluffs', from heating and/or cooking with gas. A gas dryer could also cause this :)

cucki said...

It is really very Interesting from where the fluff is coming..please keep us updated.
Big hugs xxx

Anonymous said...

Hello

I love your post today, it really made me smile!
I've no idea what it is but if you ever find out hope you let us know!

Vickie said...

I have no idea either Shirlee. I hope you figure it out soon. It doesn't look healthy.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

It looks like tumble dryer fluff to me. But never mind where it comes from, the important thing is - can you use it? Bag it up, wash it, dry it and stuff a pillow!

Carol said...

Weird! We have hardwood floors throughout our house and I've never seen anything like that! My guess is it is coming from the dryer, too... Start tracking your dryer usage and see if the fluff appears soon after :)

Prims By The Water said...

No clue. Let us know if you find out. take care, Janice

Janet P said...

Looks like tumble drier fluff to me as well OR could it be a visitor from outer space!! ha ha ha

TheCrankyCrow said...

Kentucky is surely the dangest place, hey??? Looks like dryer fluff to me...but then, again, I haven't seen a floor sans cat and dog hair for so long, I wouldn't know what I was looking at if someone told me. At least it looks like clean (albeit blue-ish) fluff???? Time to break out that Nancy Drew manuals....Robin