Thursday, March 15, 2012

Dentists, Doctors, & Stitching

Ugh!  It just keeps getting worse & worse.  On Tuesday night after brushing my teeth I got out my little magnifying mirror ... something I usually avoid at all costs ... in order to see how things were progressing.  I noticed a bit of white "gunk" on one of the bridge teeth & of course wondered how in the world I missed this piece of whatever it was after my brushing regimen.  I attempted to remove it with the tip of my finger & was quite surprised to end up pulling an inch-long piece of thick string out from underneath this one bridge tooth.  Pain & bleeding ensued.  I had to take a heavy duty pain pill left over from a prior surgery in order to get to sleep.  Yesterday it still hurt & it still hurts today.  I also noticed that I get a great deal of pain when any pressure is applied to one of the bridge teeth.  I called the dentist's office yesterday & was scheduled to come in later this morning so they could have a look-see. There's a simple explanation for everything it seems, the most important to me being that I had a lot of work done & therefore should expect to be sore & irritated for a few days.  She readjusted the temporary bridge which should get rid of the pain caused underneath one of those teeth.  The thick string?  She gave me a long dental explanation for that but basically she missed removing this one piece & it worked its way out.  She apologized profusely.  Things should settle down after a couple days.  I am to call next week to give her an update.  

Yesterday morning I had a followup appointment with my doctor whose specialty is the female reproductive area.  I don't want to use the actual "G" word since I've had the experience ... & know others who have had the experience ... of typing certain words on a blog post which somehow makes you a target for perverts looking for sites to visit.  Anyway, I didn't think I needed to follow up with this doctor but when I called to give his nurse a progress report she told me he would need to examine me again.  So there I was lying on the table as one does when one visits this type of doctor & he is asking me various questions, one of which was do I take bubble baths.  I replied no, I never take baths.  It was at this moment that I caught sight of the nurse & saw that she was trying very hard not to laugh.  I immediately realized what I had said & tried to remedy the situation by saying "Of course I take showers!"  At this point she couldn't control herself & she started to laugh uncontrollably.  I couldn't see the doctor except for the top of his head which he was shaking back & forth.  It took a while for the nurse & I to compose ourselves.  Good grief!  All is well though.

I have been stitching (& frogging) throughout the week & finished stitching 2 projects which I can't show you yet since they are gifts but I can show you this one ...

This is the ornament I decided to stitch for the Christmas All Year Round SAL.  The theme for March is "your choice" so as you can see I chose a very simple design stitched on a prefinished stocking   : )   This is a Homespun Elegance design from their Stockings 'A Plenty pattern.  I used the suggested threads which are only two ... WDW Havana & Indian Summer.  The only substitution I made was the rusty jingle bell at the bottom.  The pattern called for a brass bell but I wanted the ornament to look more prim. 

Tomorrow it's another trip to Lexington, this time to the eye doctor.  I'm kind of tired of all the traipsing around I've already had to do this week though so I might cancel that & go some other time.  Saturday is free but the plan is still to leave for Iron Mountain on Sunday.  That's not written in stone though so who knows.     

10 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

Wow - you are a glutton for punishment my friend - dentist and female dr all in one week. Why don't you have a mammo done too right away? ;o) Love the bath comment. I know the weariness of appts - for a home body like me, this week has been has been torture - and the appts weren't even mine....Love your little stocking finish....I think the bell is perfect. I haven't hooked, punched, stitched or anything in forever and it's driving me nuts!! Hope you check in before/if you leave....if not, safe travels....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Dawn said...

Glad you are doing better. Being pocked and prodded is not a good time and you had it from head to toe. What a week for you! It's a good thing you could all find humor in that wonderful moment on the table. Very cute.

Keep stitching, one less to worry about tomorrow. Stay well my friend

Angela said...

Does not sound like you had a fun week Shirlee. Hope all is well with your dental problems. Glad you got a good report from your doctor. Cute stocking. Hoping you get to go on your trip. You deserve some fun and relaxation after your week. Take care and have fun.
Angela

jennifer768 said...

Oh Shirlee this has been a tough week!I was wondering about you earlier today.Sure hope that the pain subsides and things start looking up.
Love your stocking!Your stitches always look so neat and tidy.Big hugs my friend,Jen

~*Sharee*~ said...

Goodness girlfriend, your diffidently going thru it w/the dentist & dr...hope your mouth feels better now...

Hugs, Shar

marly said...

You're on a roll, aren't ya? Might as well get everything done at one time!

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

So sorry to hear your week isn't a very nice one. But glad to hear your doing o.k. The "G" doctor and the dentist are not my favorites to visit.
Your stocking turned out great ~ I like the bell!!!
Hope you have safe travels if you decide to go.
Prim Blessings
Robin

Vickie said...

Oh Shirlee! I'm still praying for you. Nasty week, I'm with Marly though, think you should just get the eye doctor done with before Iron Mountain. Sweet little stocking. :)♣

Sally said...

I sure hope that it is for you now Shirlee. You've definitely had enough now my friend {{{{hugs}}}}

Your stocking is gorgeous.

bettyj said...

Oh my goodness!What a time. At least you can entertain us with your woes.