Monday, March 19, 2012

Does Anyone Else Love Tea?

I have seen a lot of my fellow bloggers posting about their love of coffee but I don't think I've seen even one posting about their love of tea.  Doe anyone else love tea?

I'm a real sucker when it comes to tea.  If I see a tea shop (which is rarely) I just have to go inside & see if they have any tea that calls to me.  I have found some delicious teas this way but of course I have also wasted my money on teas that had great names but didn't taste so great to me.  On my first visit to London I found a little shop selling tea ... cute little tins of tea but of course these were made up for the tourists.  I think I may have found some tea being sold at Fortnum & Mason on my second visit but this was during the start of the Christmas season.  F&M had just unveiled their Christmas windows & the store was filled with all sorts of Christmas goodies.  I was more interested in the chocolates & biscuits at that time than the tea   : )  

Once upon a time many years ago I thought I needed to collect tea pots, particularly vintage ones.  I had only purchased a few tea pots when I decided collecting them was, well, not my cup of tea.  Too much clutter.  I sold all but a few, none of which are vintage.  I kept a reproduction Fiesta teapot, a Brown Betty, & two Polish pottery teapots I purchased on a trip to Poland.  I just remembered that I do have one vintage teapot which my mother had in her china closet.  I don't remember her ever using it.  It was part of her set of "special dishes" that were basically just for show.  I've never used it either.  I've actually never used any of my teapots.  I would if I had the opportunity to entertain tea drinkers.

Over the years I have found several teas that are personal favorites.  I can't start the morning without a cup of Hot Cinnamon Sunset tea by Harney & Sons.  They also make a tea called Chocolate Mint which is quite yummy   : )   Bigelow offers some interesting teas which can be found in the supermarket.  Constant Comment is a good Bigelow tea, especially the decaffeinated variety which allows for a late night cup of tea without it keeping you up all night.  I really enjoy their Vanilla Caramel, Pomegranate, & Perfect Peach teas.  I also have a package of their tea that I haven't tried it yet.  It's called Pumpkin Spice.  Doesn't that sound good?  I normally don't buy Lipton teas because I always find them to be on the bitter side but I couldn't pass up a flavor called Vanilla Caramel Truffle.  I haven't tried this one yet either.  I have several Christmas teas I enjoy drinking as well.  And after rattling off this list of what I suppose could almost be called "designer teas," I have to admit that I really enjoy a cup of tea at the Huddle House!  I don't know why.  I think our local Huddle House has an "olden days" feel about it.  It's comfortable there.  The only tea they offer is plain old regular tea ... not really something to get all that excited about but in this case it is!  The brand is Royal Cup & it must only be available from restaurant suppliers because I can't find it for sale in any stores.    

Are you a tea drinker?  What types of teas do you enjoy?

Last night I finished stitching my second Homespun Elegance stocking (photo will be taken later today) & immediately began a new project which is ... brace yourself ... tea related!  Laura at The Little Stitcher posted this pattern (Would You...?) on Friday & I ordered it as soon as I saw it!

This is Laura's pattern photo.  I don't think she'll mind me posting it here to show you ... at least I hope she won't mind   : )   Before heading off to bed I had finished the top two words.  Then, as luck would have it, I slept for an hour & a half, woke up wide awake, & finally an hour later decided to get up & do something ... so I put more stitches into this project & am now down to the little sawtooth design at the bottom.  I will finish this today.  Laura promises that she will offer two more tea related designs soon.  I'm looking forward to them   : )

As much as I would like to continue chatting with you I must get started making that mountain of phone calls I mentioned yesterday.  I didn't get any work done in the garage but John & I did take care of trimming several bushes & flowering plants in the yard before it began to rain.  They are calling for rain again today & a high of 82.  Tomorrow they are predicting a high of 85.  Kill me now.                   

13 comments:

Vickie said...

Oh Shirlee! Are you gonna move somewhere cooler then?
I don't drink coffee or tea, I drink chai tea lattes. We buy powdered mixes and make them with hot milk at home. I gave them up for lent. :) Cute little stitch though. My husband is the big tea drinker, every day, all day long.
Madeleine and I just bought a pink teapot birdhouse yesterday! Need to get a picture!

Tricia T said...

Gloria Jeans Coffee House use to sell a Christmas tea that was amazing. Two years later they decided to switch to a different company and I could never find it again. : ( That's ok, though. I've had a couple of horrible allergic reactions to a few different teas, so now I have to pass. Yours sound good, though! : )

jennifer768 said...

Morning Sweet Shirlee! I love your new project ,it is a perfect project for you.Alas I am not a tea drinker,I just can not abide the taste.Sorry hun !I have always wanted to drink it simply because I think it sounds lovely.Hugs,Jen

Denise said...

I just recently found your blog and have enjoyed reading it. I am a tea drinker and I agree with you regarding Lipton tea. I think the reason I don't like it is because of the orange pekoe tea, I definitely like a black tea. My favorites are Twinnings English breakfast, Tazo Joy Tea (only available at Christmas) and PG Tips. Good luck with all your calls, I don't envy you with that job;)
Denise

~*Sharee*~ said...

I love sweet tea; I lived in Georgia for about 5 years and got addicted to sweet tea. Love the tea pattern hun; hope your calls go well for you..

Hugs, Shar

Laura Violet said...

Oh Shirlee!! I'm happy, soooo happy because you posted my model photo! *.* Thank you so much!
A big big hug and... I can't wait to see your work!! :D

Sally said...

I LOVE tea Shirlee! I used to drink coffee more but I can't stand the stuff now and drink tea all the time. I love Twinings Lady Grey!

Your new chart is so sweet. Looking forward to seeing your finish.

I couldn't cope in that heat either. I hate summer here when it gets too hot.

denise said...

I love tea!! Iced or hot. My favorite comes fro Publix Supermarket,it's their Raspberry tea.

Anonymous said...

Is tea ready? Let's have a cup. I will choose one of my "Marriage" mixtures or then maybe Lipton Peach. That Vanilla Caramel is on sale here in Portugal but I made a promise to myself to finish all the teas I have at home before buyinf new ones. I'm the one to drink tea at our house.
This year we also decided to wear all our beatifull teapots and china and dishes and forks and knifes. Why keep them for visits? We also deserve the pretty things we have!
Hugs
This cup of tea was really good!

Chris said...

I feel the same way about these crazy temps. I think it is going to be a long hot summer.
I always have to stock my Mom up for Xmas and her Birthday with Harney & Sons Hot cinnamon tea. I love your new project.
I start my mornings with diet coke :)

TheCrankyCrow said...

Now who's the goober?? 85 and you're not happy??? YIKES Girlfriend!!! We have supposedly been in the upper 70's these days, but upper 70's have never felt so dang cold to me!! I'm still wearing my hoodies! And - ahhh....tea....sorry, but you cut me to the quick. I do try it now and again, but I truly prefer coffee. Although I like a good iced tea - preferably sun tea - no sugar, no lemon....no flavors. I know, I know.....Everyone tells me what I'm missing, but it has never stuck with me..... Smiles & Spring Hugs ~ Robin

Terri said...

I'm a tea lover too! My favorite is chamomile which is good for my tummy troubles. And I'm allergic to caffeine, so I have to be careful which teas I buy! I love iced raspberry tea in the summer!

Love the new project!

Tee hee, this is my kind of weather! I think anything below 80 is cold, LOL!

Lina said...

Hello, Shirlee.
I just discovered your blog and I like reading your posts :)
It's nice here :)
I love tea as well, more I don't drink coffee at all. We discovered in London Whittard tea company. They have nice selection of black, green, white and fruit teas. The last that we tried and loved it was Cinnamon Tea. And they always have new range so we always buy new teas to taste different flavours. Also I like Twinnings from supermarkets with Camomile and pears or apples flavour. The pattern of a cup of tea is very nice. Best wishes, Lina