Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!

Happy Memorial Day to all my blogging friends!  I remember the excitement of Memorial Day when I was a child.  Our little town would have a parade & a little ceremony to remember the local veterans who gave their lives for our country.  I don't think that happens much anymore.  So many people now-a-days view the deaths of these brave men & women as "nothing."  It's really a shame.

Well, it's good to be back even though I only last posted on Saturday morning.  I had some computer issues which were finally resolved this morning, hallelujah   : )  I will have to play catch-up with the blogs I follow to see what everyone has been up to.

Over the past 2 days my husband & I planted 6 trees, 3 bushes, & we replanted the 5 large Japanese variegated willow bushes into larger pots awaiting the landscapers to come work on our foundation area.  Once again the central Kentucky tradesmen are a mystery to me.  Those 3 contractors who said they'd come to give us an estimate for paving our driveway never showed up & never called to say they weren't coming.  Two weeks ago when I talked with the landscaping company, the boss told me that he'd call me "at the beginning of the week" to schedule a time to do the work.  I assumed that would've been the beginning of the following week, which was last week, but I guess I should have said "the beginning of what week exactly?"  Sigh!  If I don't hear from him by Wednesday I guess I'll have to give them a call.

Also yesterday I planned out my new garden & John dug it up to loosen the sod.  I am now in the process of removing the sod, then I'll need to get some good soil & organic matter in there & then I can start planting!  Here is a photo of the view from a bit beyond the back porch of where the garden will be ...


... & then the start of the garden itself.


I am making this a butterfly garden & I'm really excited about it!  I've been buying some plants which are indicated as plants that butterflies love   : )   This is rather slow going though because our temps have been in the low 90s!  It is way too early in the year for such hot weather.  I hope this is just a fluke thing & not a premonition of what the summer is going to bring!  We can only work outside in the mornings ... it's just way too hot after that.

I had mentioned on Saturday morning that I was going to pick a pattern & start in on some crafting but that didn't work out because of the computer issues.  Maybe today   : )

Once again I hope you are all having a great Memorial Day!  Do remember to thank God for those brave men & women who gave their lives so that we could enjoy the freedoms we have today.    

3 comments:

Angela said...

Happy Memorial Day Shirlee, Glad to see you got your computer problems resolved. Can't wait to see your butterfly garden. I'm sure you will enjoy all the colorful butterflies who will be drawn to the plants. I know how you feel about the workers who make a promise and never show up. I was always taught to be as true as your word. Unfortunately some people never learned that lesson. It really bothers me to wait on someone and them not show or have the decency to call. Good Luck! Enjoy your day. We are having a quiet day at home until afternoon when Holly, Darbee, and Stacy come for a simple cook out. Hugs

bettyj said...

Good luck with your butterfly garden I have a huge butterfly bush and love seeing all the butterflies on it. It is hot here too, but after the winter and the spring, I am not going to complain. (Much)
betty

renee said...

Shirlee,
This will be lovely, and the butterflies will LOVE it! I am glad you are doing it! Can't wait to see it all~ I don't understand why these people don't return calls! Nuts!
I hope you are having a good day today!
Hugs,
Renee