Friday, May 27, 2011

Too Many Interests!

It dawned on me yesterday ... or maybe it was the day before ... that it is almost June & the fall/winter craft show season will be here before we know it!  My friend & I used to work a lot of craft shows "back in the day" when I lived in North Dakota & I enjoyed it immensely!  However, after leaving there I ended up moving to places where craft shows didn't seem to exist or they just weren't profitable.  I have toyed with the idea of signing on with Etsy or another craft selling site ... maybe even making my own website for sales ... but thus far my motivation has been lacking for a number of reasons.  Recently I seem to have been bitten by the motivation bug (maybe it has something to do with losing some weight?) & I am actually quite anxious to get started crafting again!  Unfortunately I also have about a billion other things to do (okay ... maybe only a million) so as excited as I am about this, I'm also thinking "Shirlee ... are you out of your mind?!?!?"

Last night I learned that one of my very favorite people in the crafting business, Trudy Honeycutt (owner of Crows in the Attic Primitives), sells patterns!  I've started paging through her patterns ... & others ... at Patternmart & I keep finding more & more wonderful things that I want to make!

I am one of those people who are "cursed" with a lot of interests.  I enjoy making dolls & ornaments & such.  I enjoy quilting.  I make wax tarts & other wax items.  I knit.  I braid rugs.  I paint.  I own & know how to use a scroll saw.  I make signs.  I'm using the present tense here but I actually haven't done any of these things for months or more for a variety of reasons ... but they are among my favorite things to do!  I like to garden.  I like to read.  I like to travel.  I like to learn things ... currently German & gemology.  In the past I did counted cross stitch, crocheting, rug hooking, glass bead making, jewelry making, bobbin lace making, tatting (actually taught tatting for a while), & other things I'm sure.  I've often wished that I could stick with "just one thing" & get really good at that ... but then I'd miss out on all this other stuff ... lol!

Then of course I've got my collections ... lots of different primitive things for the most part.  Old school readers & Honey Bunch books, sifters, cream & green enamelware, mixing bowls, crocks, jugs, chairs, spice bottles & packages, medicine bottles & packages, kitchen items, laundry soap boxes (unopened), wooden advertising boxes, & brooms ... just off the top of my head   : )   I'm sure there are several others.  Maybe I ought to read that Amish book of mine a few more times where it talks about not having anything that you don't use   : )   I don't collect things just to see how many of something I can get.  Whatever I bring home has to "speak" to me.    

It was so nice visiting with you today!  Do you have any special plans for the holiday weekend?  Nothing special planned here at the farmhouse although the weatherman is predicting 5 straight days without rain so I'm pretty sure all these flowers & bushes & trees we've been accumulating recently are going to get planted.  I hope you will have a wonderful weekend spent with family & friends or just enjoying the peace & quiet of your home   : )

4 comments:

Angela said...

Hi Shirlee, I can post again!!! So proud to be able to talk to all of my blogging friends. Just reading your post , I am sitting here pondering in my mind,,,, wow, she can do some of everything so what will I be recieving in the mail? (lol) You are one talented lady.
Go for it and start selling your crafts. I don't do a selling bloy,etsy,or e-bay but we do one huge craft show Labor Day weekend. I work off and on all year at my own pace and get my items made. Mr. P. has a very demanding full time job and he does bigger items such as repurposing furniture, etc. We would do more but he just doesn't have the time and I don't want what I do to become like a job to me. I enjoy sharing my goods with friends and ocassionaly someone will want to buy something and if I have it made okay. I do not like to take orders. Just follow your heart and if you decide to do it good luck. Hope you have beautiful weather and get to enjoy the weekend. We have no plans. Mr. P was off today and will go back on Tues. Have a great day.

Trace4J said...

Hey Shirlee
you sound like my kind of girl. I too have many interest..many projects started. I would love to do a craft fair too.
Got a start with a whole mess of apples.
Have a great weekend!!
Hugs Granny Trace
www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

renee said...

Shirlee,
Well, we all know I can relate! LOL! I say do what you can with where you are! Just go for it and see what happens. I have way too many things I like to do, but I have a great time! I need to get going! LOL!
Hugs,
Renee

luksky said...

I know this is an old post, but I just ran across your blog today and wanted to start reading it from the beginning. I am also cursed with the same affliction. I have so many interests...quilting, crocheting, painting rocks, quilling, sewing, etc. that I just can't seem to perfect any of my interests. Oh, and Pinterest makes it much worse!!