Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I Want to Cry : (

John & I were home yesterday afternoon & heard the county tree trimmers working on our street.  This was odd because we've lived here for 2 years & this is the first time they've been here.  We have always seen them doing their tree trimming down on the main road each summer.  We didn't think anything about it when we heard them on our street because we don't have any trees with dangerous branches hanging over the road.

This morning we went to Lexington so I could meet with my new doctor possibility (more about this later).  When we came home, we noticed that all the neighbor's bushes & trees had been cut back to their fence line which didn't make any sense.  They had not been causing problems with driving nor hanging over the street.  It was a terrible mess ... it looked like someone who had never held a saw before just came down the front of their property & hacked away at everything.  All the cut branches & leaves & things were just lying there on the side of the road ... the county didn't even cart them away.  Then we saw it.  We had a really nice tree at the corner of our property behind our fence.  I'm not sure what the tree is but it had been growing there for quite a while.  This is a picture of it taken from our yard facing the street ...

   
It looked like that on the other side too.  Here is what it looks like now, a side view ...


Other side ...


The side of the tree facing the street where they did their cutting ...



Some of the debris left behind ...


It's bad enough to trim a tree for no reason, but to hack away at it like this?  John & I are pretty bummed out about this.  He even called the county road service department to complain about it.  The man he spoke with on the phone said that it's the tree cutter's call which trees are "dangerous to traffic" & said they always cut the branches smoothly to the trunk of the tree & clean up all the debris afterward.  Needless to say they are going to get a copy of these pictures along with a letter telling them exactly what I think of their cutter's judgment   : (

There are, incidentally, many trees on our street that are huge with branches hanging over the road.  None of those have been touched by the cutter.  

Regarding my new doctor possibility, I didn't actually get to meet with him today ... only the patient intake rep.  She seemed nice enough, not as pushy as she appeared to be on the phone, but I can't be sure if I will sign on with them until I actually meet the doctor.  In the meantime I let them do some blood tests & I will go back to meet with the doctor next week to discuss the results.  Then I can decide if I want him to take over my care.

Tomorrow will consist of running some errands (including going to the landscaper's nursery to see what kinds of bushes we might want him to plant) & then I will come home & plant my perennials in my butterfly garden.  I have them sitting where I think I want them to go.  I thought I'd look at them sitting there for a couple days to make sure that's where I want to put them.  I've already seen some butterflies checking them out!  Perhaps they'll bring some friends with them next time.  Maybe I'll even get some hummingbirds visiting since I noticed on the plant tags that many of these plants draw them as well   : )     

8 comments:

jennifer768 said...

Oh my I am so sorry ! That is just awful to do that to a beautiful tree !The cutter should be ashamed of himself for leaving such a mess and hacking the tree up. I hope that your new doctor works out for you.Have fun working in your garden. Blessings,Jen

Primitive Echoes said...

OMG they do that to our trees all the time. I have a fit and call and complain every time too but they don't care. They just do it again the next year. They have mutilated our Maple tree and every time it makes me want to cry.
Sorry about yours, lets go slap them around a bit okay?
Kat

Jessica said...

That is awful!! I hope you do send photos and a letter, they have to see what is REALLY going on. I can't believe they'd just come out and chop stuff up without even talking it over with the property owners first! Nobody has respect anymore for their fellow human being and it really lights the fire under my behind!

Hope all goes well with the doctor.

Enjoy your time with your garden!!

A Primitive Homestead said...

Such a shame to cut away from a tree & make it so un-shapely when there was no need to. I would have cried. I wish you the best with your doctor & tests. Prayers lifted. I hope to see your butterfly garden planted soon. Blessings!
Lara

Trace4J said...

Oh no Friend..Thats horrible. My man loves loves trees he would be so mad. I hope the county does do something.Seems so mean and wrong.
Butterflys and hummingbirds sure help though.:)
Hugs Granny Trace

www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

oooh..I'd be hopping mad too! That's just not right - seems like maybe the tree cutter had a very bad day and was taking it out on the trees!

Hugs

Tina's Primitive Attic said...

So sorry about the trees. Just makes me sad to think they are that not caring... about the trees and how you would all feel at their work... Hugs, Tina

Deppen homestead 1862 said...

Ugh! Yep, they do the same in my neck of the woods~ a couple years back they did mine~ they won't cut anymore then that might come down on the power lines~( what ever!!!) so of course they said we could hire the one guy on the side to cut the rest of the tree~ ( $ making schemin!!) So we hired some area trimmers & topped the trees~So I am feeling for ya!!!
smiles
Teresa