Tuesday, August 28, 2012

An Open Letter to Stacy Nash

Dear Stacy ...

I don't believe I've ever written to express my deep appreciation of your designing talent.  Without fail, every time I visit your pattern site there seems to be a new pattern singing its siren song to me.  "Buy me," it cries!  "Buy me!"  And I do   : )

I have stitched several of your patterns in this my third stitching life & they have always been a joy!  Well, most times they've been a joy.  I am reminded of your gorgeous Seek Joy In All Things Pinkeep Pillow design which I stitched & hold the finished product near & dear to my heart, but oy ... that big honkin' house!  I am not a fan of  big honkin' anything.  Big honkin' houses, big honkin' trees, big honkin' animals, etc.  I love seeing them, I love having them, but when I have to stitch them myself, I repeat, oy!  But this is not your fault, dear Stacy ... this fault lies with me alone.

A week or so ago I was perusing my chart filing system when I spotted your Winter Woolens Cupboard Pinkeep design.  My heart began to beat a little faster.  My breathing became labored.  My hands started to shake.  I mean honestly Stacy ... you had to have been inside my head when you designed this one!  Winter?  Woolens?  A reindeer? Quick!  Where's my needle?  Where's my DMC?  I couldn't start stitching it fast enough!  It looked like a pretty quick stitch, & it was going along very smoothly until the end when I discovered those cute little berries on the backstitched fir tree were none other than French knots.  FRENCH KNOTS!  Why, Stacy?  Why?  What on earth possessed you?  I know from past experiences that French knots & I are not good friends.  Sometime last year I had the great privilege to be introduced to Colonial knots & we bonded.  I comforted myself with the fact that I'd just make the substitution & my stitching life would continue along a happy path.  It didn't.  There are "only" 13 of these little knots in this particular design.  13. That number should've been a warning to me. Unlucky 13.  I started, frogged, restarted, frogged again, restarted again, frogged again ... well, you get the idea.  What in my memory seems like several lifetimes later I made the last Colonial knot, hid the end of my thread & whispered a little prayer that went something like "Thank God that's over!" Unfortunately for me, whenever I look at this cute little fir tree with 13 red berries on it I see nothing but a cute little fir tree with 13 great big fat ugly knots!

I have gently placed the completed stitching on my dining table (I can see it from where I'm typing now) & I guess I'm hoping that some little gnomes or fairies or elves will come in one night whilst I am asleep & re-do those knots for me.  However, these little creatures have never shown up to help me in the past & I don't have much faith that they will show up now.  I keep telling myself the obvious.  "Look here," I say!  "This is a primitive stitching!  PRIMITIVE!  Those knots are SUPPOSED to look like crap!"  However, my bigger & much stronger personality trait, Perfectionism, opens wide her critical eye & taunts me with my inadequacies.


I have never asked very much from you, dear Stacy.  Come to think of it, I've never asked you for anything at all!  But I'm asking you for something now.  Please!  I beg of you!  No more French knots!  

Respectfully yours,
Your fan, 
The Easily Influenced Stitcher 

22 comments:

Ranae said...

I'm totally with you on Stacy's designs
I just recently finished Emma and her pony sewing roll and the Liberty pouch, love them both and have others in my basket waiting. Her sewing directions are so easy to follow

Samplers, Silks and Linens said...

if you are unhappy with the knots why don't you replace them with beads- although from here I think the tree looks fine - I also love stacy nash she has so many wonderful designs

TheCrankyCrow said...

Oh my HECK! You are very lucky I was drinking a clear-colored liquid when I read this. !!!! You are TOO funny! I, personally, think your knots look absolutely fine (and that should carry much weight coming from one perfectionist to another) - but, if they bother you, send your stitchies x 4 to me and I'll happily do you your Frenchies. Can't say you'll exactly get all 4 stitchies back, but it'll be close. ;o) Smiles & Snort Laughs ~ Robin

(PS - I have half a mind to tell Stacy to come read this post of yours....)

TheCrankyCrow said...

Ok....I just enlarged your photos....Your knots are PERFECT. KNOCK IT OFF! :o) Robin (But you can still send them to me. BAAAWAWAAA.....)

butterfly said...

Lovely work Shirlee.
Your french knots look fine to me, I know you could use beads , but if you don't want to do this, try this one, make a cross stitch then another cross stitch on top in the spare holes , it will raise your stitching to stand out a little. hugs.

Chris said...

I love those colonial knots! French knots....no. They are evil.
I yhink your stitching looks lovely.

Margaret said...

What a beautiful tree! You should say thank you to those invisible elves for I cannot see any big ugly fat knots! Your stitching is always lovely. As I don't know Stacy (ha ha) I'd suggest that you forgo both the French and the Colonials and try Mill Hill if you still feel that Stacy's knots are evil :-)

Shebafudge said...

Shirlee - I am with everyone else, those knots look perfect to me! I would love Stacy to read this!

Vickie said...

Shirlee!?! What is the problem? The knots are fine. I am NOT jut saying that. I have no problem with french knots. Actually, now don't get mad at me, I love designs with them. You have done a good job Shirlee.♥

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

OH, I love this post! You are so cracking me up.

I happen to know (on good authority) that french knots are from the devil! They just have to be. I hate them with the passion of a thousand burning suns!

The next time you are faced with french knots....use beads! They come in various colors and sizes to fit any project need. Why waste time doing the devils business, when you can use the beads!

Blessings always :)

Miss LindaLee said...

Good morning Shirlee~
I just love your posts and your beautiful pictures. By the way,,,,your Colonial knots look great to me. I love the piece. Beautiful stitching.
Looked back at the two previous posts and love the pictures of the birds. We haven't seen any Orioles since we've been here in eastern NC and they're so pretty. We do get the Flickers. Bluebirds. The Redheaded Woodpecker and the Downy. Hummingbirds. As well as the more common birds. Robins. Titmouse. Chickadee. Love all birds.
Keep up the great blog as well as the stitching. Love them both. I'm over at "CrossN' My Stitches". Come and visit when you can. Not nearly as nice a blog as yours but I love doing it.

wranglerkate said...

Dear EIS - Your work is beautiful! I think the knots as they appear in your picture are perfect. You are too harsh on yourself (but aren't we all??). I love Stacy's designs too. What a gift she has! Enjoy your completed work as is.

Janet P said...

Hi Shirlee, you always make me smile, why worry about the french or even colonial knots they look great. Also loved the birds! x

Unknown said...

Hi Shirlee. You are cracking me up. A sweet friend of mine directed me to your blog and my Mom and I have been sitting here reading and laughing our butts off. You are hysterical!!!
I thank you so much for supporting me. I truly love stitching and designing and it's so fun to meet people that share my passion.
Hopefully our paths will cross one day my friend. I would love to meet you.

And btw.....I think your French knots are just the sweetest little things : )

Smiles,
Stacy Nash

Carol said...

Shirlee--you are WAY too hard on yourself! I think the French knots look great--you should see mine...I may get one out of ten to look half way decent. I don't know what I'm doing wrong!! Love this little finish and I think those bird photos from your previous post are wonderful. We sure don't have birds like that here in western PA!

Mindi said...

I think your knots look fine, and the finish is adorable. But, if you're really bothered by them, replace them with beads.

Anonymous said...

ROFL Thanks for the giggles. Eduardo did a fantastic job on your nails...really brought out the green in your skin....and don't worry about that ash-i-ness in your legs, a lil lotion does miracles, I tell ya!

Linda said...

Your knots look great. I'm wouldn't do anything else with them. Berries don't grow perfectly on trees.

Linda

marly said...

Are you OK now? Are you knot upset anymore?

Minnie said...

I understand that you see entirely something different then everybody else but take it from me the knots are perfect as is all of your stitching. Having said that I have made some of the most horrible tangled balls and tried to passing them off as french knots too. This was before I discovered Mill Hill petite beads, now I try to stay knot-free.

Mouse said...

ohhh dear ... I shouldn't giggle at the French knot dilemma ... I actually quite like doing them :) there is a trick to get them right though ... wish I was nearer I could help you (well be a wee fairy at any rate ...lol) hope you have a good day :) love mouse xxxx

Lainey said...

Oh dear nearly spewed my cuppa all over the keyboard..that was too funny Shirlee!
Your knots look fine to me but I have to tell you that I hate knots!!!! I can;t do them. I;ve tried for years, been personally tutoured, followed a video on youtube but nothing works for me.
I;ve got knotophobia..lol!
Have a nice week-end. Hugs.