Monday, August 27, 2012

Eli Crowe Mercantile

This trunk next to "Sophie's box" (photo can be seen at the end of this blog post) caught the attention of one of my followers.  This is an old trunk that some very talented person painted with an Americana/primitive theme. I was lucky enough to find it at a local prim shop shortly after we moved here.  I love Americana/patriotic type stuff & I fell in love with it   : )



It was rather difficult taking a photo because where I have the trunk displayed I have too much light coming in here & too many shadows coming in there, but hopefully you can get a pretty good idea of what it looks like.   As you can see, Sophie is continuing to enjoy "her box"   : )

When I sit in my stitching chair I see the trunk from this view although my view is, of course, a bit farther away than this.
I am constantly seeing a critter there on the side of the trunk.  I'm not referring to Sophie in front there   : )   Can you see the critter? Look closer.
See the moose?  I see him plain as day!  I've brought him to John's attention many times but John will stare & stare & not see him. He thinks I'm crazy!  Maybe Mr. Moose only reveals himself to me?

I keep my knitting yarn inside this trunk.  

I have another old trunk ... painted by the same person ... upstairs in what is supposed to be the guest room which is currently serving as a catch-all room.
I have no idea what this trunk looks like although I think it maybe ... maybe ... has a schoolhouse theme.  I put it there 3 years ago, placed that protective batting on the top of it, put that container of special blown glass Christmas ornaments on top of the batting along with an old Christmas quilt I made for our son when he was pre-K, & there it's all been ever since.  I suppose I should check it out sometime to see what it actually looks like.  It obviously wouldn't take a lot of effort to move that stuff off the top.  
I  must add, before any of you freak out, that although it looks like the sun is blazing through that window it really isn't.  The sun travels along the sides & front of our house, not the back ... & I do have some muslin fabric up there ... so the old quilt is not fading at all.

Stay tuned for the next installment of "Trunks in The Easily Influenced Stitcher's House" ... assuming I get the "oomph" to unearth this second one & take a few photos of it   : )  

7 comments:

Vickie said...

Neat! I am sorry, I do not see the moose. :(

Peggy Lee said...

That's a beautiful bird but I'm afraid I can't help you in identifying it. Love the bluebirds too.
It took me a while but I finally saw the moose. I guess you're not crazy after all!
My guest room is also the catch-all room. I need a separate room....or even a separate house just for my stitch stash!

Simple Pleasures said...

I dont see a moose, what are you drinking over there? Lol
Xo

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

What a Beautiful trunk.
I Love to paint on old things that I find. I never painted on a trunk, though. I will have to be on the look out for one now.
Have a wonderful day!

sandraallen260@centurytel.net

TheCrankyCrow said...

:o))) Oooooo....I love the trunk even better now that I did when I first spied it. Thanks for taking the time to post the additional photos of it. And Eli Crowe....yikes, almost has my name written all over it. ;o) (And I see the moose and the moose sees me....) Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin (PS - how the heck to you keep your floors so gleaming clean??? Especially in a "catch-all" room?)

marly said...

You see a moose? I see a frog. The photo on top of your moose closeup is a frog. Staring at you as you stitch. Watching you every day. Ribbet.

♥ Nia said...

No moose.. No frog like Marly wrote above... I don't see it but I want what you're having!!! Hahahaha :D