Monday, August 27, 2012

More Birds!

It's not often that I do 3 posts in one day (& the congregation says AMEN!) but on my way to the kitchen I took a look outside to see if I needed to replenish the water in the birdbath & look what was getting a drink!




It's a Northern Flicker ... a female I think.  A type of woodpecker!  This one was getting a drink & it's partner was pecking on the ground but I couldn't get a good enough view of that one for a photo.  I had to swallow my pride when I showed John these photos. He has been telling me for a week or two that he has seen woodpeckers pecking around the yard.  Not on trees, mind you, but pecking on the ground itself.  He would call me when he "supposedly" saw these woodpeckers but by the time I'd get to the window they had mysteriously "flown away" so of course I had my doubts.  I mean honestly ... woodpeckers pecking on the ground?  With all the trees there are around here?  Well, today I am humbled as I did indeed watch 2 of these birds pecking at the ground.  I looked them up online & apparently they are one of very few woodpecker species who predominantly eat bugs from the ground.  They are beautiful to behold!  My pictures really don't do them justice.  

The consensus on the yellow bird I posted photos of earlier today is that it is a female Baltimore Oriole although it may also be a female Hooded Oriole.  Cool!

In the past 2 days alone we have been visited by cardinals, blue jays, bluebirds, robins, & some house finches.  Now we've got an oriole of some sort & a pair of flickers. Such fun   : )    

9 comments:

~Sara said...

What beautiful birds!!

marly said...

The flicker is the monster that put a football sized hole in my house for a nest. Pretty, but destructive!

Earlene said...

So pretty! I love bird watching too.

butterfly said...

Hi bird lady, wow you are so lucky with these beautiful birds on your door step, hugs.

Chris said...

Wonderful bird pics Shirlee!

Vickie said...

Great pictures Shirlee! Thank you for sharing.

lmikule said...

Hi Shirlee! I love birds! Thanks for sharing your bird stories. I don't know if this comment will ever get published. The characters I have to type are always so unreadable!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Great photos.....again! You bird lady you. I, too, was fascinated with woodpeckers until they started killing our trees. Little buzzards I tell ya. Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Девушка с пяльцами said...

The pictures are wonderful!