Wednesday, December 7, 2011

All I Want For Christmas Is A New Management Team At Blogger

I have slightly over 100 blogs on my Blogs I Follow list but sometimes when I look for blog updates there aren't a whole lot of them.  Sometimes there are none.  This has been going on for a few weeks now.  It was especially apparent this past weekend.  I just assumed that everyone was busy decorating their home or out shopping or something.  I then started noticing when I went to visit a blog or two that there were recent posts I hadn't seen before.  I've also been having trouble joining to follow blogs & trying to delete a few.  I indicate that I want to Stop Following, I then get a message that I no longer am, but sure enough, there it is still in my blog list & I continue to get updates I don't want.  And you would think when a person decides to no longer manage their blog that it would drop off your blog list or that you would at least be able to easily delete it, but that's not the case ... at least not for me.  It remains fixed on my blog list.

Then there's adding blogs.  I've found some really cool blogs recently that I have joined.  I indicate that I want to follow.  I get a message saying I'm following.  However, when I look on my Blogs I Follow list, those blogs aren't there.  Every great once in a while I get a notice in my blog updates that the owner of that blog has made a new post but in usually I do not.  I've started bookmarking these blogs so I can go to them every day to see if anything new has been posted which is a ridiculous & oftentimes time wasting thing to have to do.  While back on these blogs I click to follow them again & it's like I never clicked it before.  I get the "you are now following [whatever the blog is]" message but again never get the updates & the blog never shows on my Blogs I Follow list.

I tried to email Blogger about this issue but as some of you already know there is no way to do this.  I did, however, find a sort of blogger help forum & posted a question there yesterday morning.  Lo & behold, yesterday afternoon I checked my blog updates & there were a ton of them going back several days that I hadn't seen before!  Not only that, all the new blogs I had joined recently were all showing up in my Blogs I Follow list & the ones I had been trying to delete "forever" were no longer there!  I thought that perhaps the notation I saw on the blogger help forum was true ... that Blogger employees monitor the site & respond to questions.  I thought some dear, wonderful employee had fixed all these problems for me & I could finally live my blogging life without further frustration.

As The Beatles sang long ago, I should have known better.  After spending about an hour going back several days to read many, many posts I never saw the first time around, I left the computer to make dinner & then after dinner came back to refresh & check for further updates.  The new blogs I had joined within the past couple weeks were no longer on my Blogs I Follow list.  The blogs I have been continually trying to delete still appeared.  There were no new updates from anyone & the new ones that had appeared earlier ... the ones I spent about an hour reading ... were no longer on my update list.  I did not go so far as to succumb to weeping, wailing, & gnashing of teeth but I was on the brink.

Has anyone else ever had these problems?  Were you able to get them fixed?  

12 comments:

Trace4J said...

UGH blogger is a strange bird sometimes..I have alot of those problems too.Many days I get on lately and it says I have no followers. I just ignore and they come back. Does drive ya crazy though.
Hugs to you Trace

www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Danice G said...

Yes, I totally agree. These problems have been going on for a long while. I have been posting and keeping up with all the bloggers' reports of these issues. Known Issues and Blogger Status haven't been updated since August and November of 2011. Many bloggers are doubting if Blogger even knows or cares about this. (I check the thread often). Afterall, Blogger has yet to issue a statement or acknowledged the issues...

~*Sharee*~ said...

I've had the same problems hun; I have found some really nice blogs and it lets me follow them; but won't let me copy and paste their address on my "friends I follow". It makes me so mad...

Hugs, Shar

BumbleBeeLane said...

Yep I have the same problem.I've tried to delete certain blogs a gizzilion times and it lets me add but never shows updates but says you are now following.Frustrating.Always something but the rewards are far greater than the frustration so I keep blogging on.Warm Blessings!~Amy

Angela said...

Yes, I have gotten on several times just this week and it said I wasn't following anyone. Usually when I hit refresh it would all come back. But what can we do? Just wait and keep trying. Guess it's worth it to get to communciate with all our blogger friends. Hope you are having a good day.
Angela

cucki said...

well count me in..i am having the same problem some time ggrrr
i hope they do something about it..
love for you..keep well xx

CRAFTY STITCHERS said...

I too have found that if I go to a few blogs, I can view everything but their posts. Frustrating!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. But you knew that already. I even threw my Ho Ho at the screen the other day I was so frustrated. (What a mess and horrendous waste of a Ho Ho....) I just hope others understand these issues are out there and that I haven't intentionally stopped following them - I rarely do that unless the blog has been MIA for months and months - and then I can't seem to get rid of them!!! (Don't bother having a Ho Ho fit - it doesn't help....) ;o) Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Jessica said...

I quit blogger dashboard and went to Google Reader. I don't miss the dashboard at all!

When I delete blogs, I delete them from blogger first, if I joined them thru blogger that is. Otherwise Reader won't delete them permanently. Reader and blogger are intertwined. It would be nice if they fixed it so I could just delete from Reader if I followed thru blogger. I don't like all the problems with blogger, which is why I don't use it for my blog.

I prefer to only subscribe with Reader, but most people want you be a follower on blogger, especially if they are doing a giveaway. Honestly, as long as they follow in some way, there's no need to force people to use the follower widget blogger provides. I have one on my blog because I got tired of blogger people asking me how to follow my blog, most of them only use their dashboard and have no idea that blogger isn't the only way to blog. (Blogger is a part of Google now.)

I recently deleted over a hundred blogs, and did not have a problem. Yes I'm a blog junky, but I like to read a blog for awhile to see if I like it. Like a test drive? lol. Usually when I delete a blog in blogger, it deletes it from Reader shortly after. But sometimes it doesn't do them all, so I have to double check Reader to make sure they are not still on the list.

Wow this ended up being a very long comment. I'm tired and cranky and behind on blogs and emails. I'm just in a mood. blah.

Sends hugs!
Jessica

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Shirlee, the problem may be that you have two profiles! They both have the same picture but different sizes and are set up slightly differently. One has a link to this blog, one doesn't.
You have managed to follow me twice! If you look at my blog and my list of followers you will see yourself sitting next to yourself, try clicking on each one and see if it helps you see which profile you should be using.
Hope this helps xx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Have just checked the two profiles, one only follows 20 blogs, the other follows loads. I suspect you are looking at the smaller one when all your blogs disappear?
My blog is on both lists!

L.O. said...

I have had the same problems as of late. I posted a question in the help forum with no response, but I figured on that. I have gone to google reader as well. Much easier to keep track of.