Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Chronicles of the Sweet Potato Garland - Part IV

Has Shirlee & her husband been buried under spices?  Let's find out!

_____________________

Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 8:56 a.m. - Nothing new to report on the sweet potato garland.  Every time the furnace poofs on & I walk in the bedroom it smells like a bakery or something.  Some of the potato pieces have shrunken to about half their size while others still seem to be as big as they were at the beginning.  And yes, the spices are still falling.  It is also VERY heavy!  If I were to take it now & hang it on one side of the Christmas tree it would probably topple the whole thing.  I'm just going to leave it there in the window, above the heating vent, & hope it will continue shrinking & losing weight.  I'll keep you informed of the progress.

Blessings,
Shirlee
_____________________

Sunday, December 5, 2010, 12:48 p.m. - Sweet Potato Garland Update - Day 11

It has been 11 days since I made this blasted garland & 10 days since it's been hanging in my bedroom window dangling over the heating vent, snowing spice mixture from time to time as it shrinks & compresses.  Most of the pieces have shrunken up quite nicely but there seems to be an area or two where the shrinking has not been so pronounced.  Today I decided to take it down & actually place it on the heating vent itself.  Of course when I took it down the spices rained down like fire from heaven on Sodom & Gomorrah.  I decided  to "shake it like a Polaroid picture" (OatKast lyric line from the song Hey Ya! ... something I picked up from John's endless playing of CDs) & then took it to the kitchen where John had placed a new trash bag into the trash bag container & I just plopped it in there & shook it all about (now I'm thinking of the Hokey Pokey ... you didn't know I was so musically knowledgeable, did you ... lol!).  Anyway, I then took it back to the bedroom &, as stated above, placed it on top of the heating vent.  I'll leave it there for a couple more days & probably have to shake it some more but I think that's the best that it's going to be.  It's still quite heavy but hopefully I'll be able to put it on the tree with it toppling over.

Incidentally, whenever the furnace poofs on there is the most delicious fragrance wafting through the bedroom.  Now that the garland is lying on the vent itself, it's like some luscious dessert is baking in the oven.

Blessings,
Shirlee
_____________________

Monday, December 20, 2010, 5:12 p.m. - Sweet Potato Garland, Final Update - Day 26

The blasted sweet potato garland is on the blasted tree.  I had to give it a good shaking once again in the trash bin ...& I mean at least a 5-minute shaking which consisted of beating the goofy thing back & forth against the sides of the bin ... & still got a good handful of spices shaken off.  It will totally amaze me if there is any spice mixture left on this thing.  However, as I was draping it on the tree it was still raining down spices a bit.  What an experience ... lol!  But here she is on the tree.  My story is at its end.  Perhaps I should write a magazine article for next year's holiday season ... Diary of a Sweet Potato Garland.

Front of the Tree


Side of the Tree


Blessings,
Shirlee
_____________________

The End

11 comments:

Carmen and the Primcats said...

LMBO!!!! WHat a great story Shirlee!

I have decided NEVER to make one of those... I'm just going to buy one if I ever want one... because clearly... it's NOT worth it.

Thank you for sharing your Yammy nightmare with us!

But hey... it looks good on the tree!!!!!!!!

Carmen and the Primcats

annie said...

Well you made me laugh, that's for sure. So many of my projects do this kind of thing too. I love Lucy in real life. I'm not sure how you constructed it, but could it be baked in a very low temperature oven on cookie sheets (like drying apple slices)for several hours? Of course don't do it if it would be some kind of fire hazard, you don't need another problem! I'm with Carmen, I won't ever try!

Trace4J said...

I LOVE SHIRLEEEEE...
Giant Hugs friend you are too funny.
Trace

www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

BumbleBeeLane said...

Giggling....Ok sweetie I really want one. Could you make me one now? Pretty please? ..smile..You did better than me my patience would have run out by day 3.It does look wonderful though.Warm Blessings!~Amy

cucki said...

he he he i love you dear shirlee..
big hugs for you..you super sweet :)

Beckyjean said...

Oh my goodness!! Thanks for the giggles today~I sure needed them. I love the garland & would love to have one of my own, but I'm not up to the frustration. Hopefully someone sells them.

Have a wonderful evening~Becky

Kendra said...

Well it looks great!
Kendra

~*Sharee*~ said...

Your too funny hun; each day I can't wait for the next part of your "story". made me smile for sure...love your tree.

Hugs, Shar

TheCrankyCrow said...

:o))))

Are you taking orders???

(Please don't throw your Ho Ho at me!!)

LOVED this my friend....but, sadly, I still love that stinking garland too!

Hope you have a wonderful Friday! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Too Funny! Thanks for making me smile!
But I bet it smells good!!!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Mary said...

Shirlee, I've been making dried garlands for a couple of years now. It takes a long time to make them. Did you put the spices on them before you put them in the oven? If not that might be part of the problem. I hope this helps. Your garland looks nice on your tree.