Sunday, December 25, 2011

Twas the Day After Christmas ... Almost



What a lovely Christmas Day it has been!  I think the pre-Christmas hubbub really hit me & John on Christmas Eve because we ended up going to bed at 9 o'clock!  John woke up at 1:30 Christmas morning & busied himself upstairs.  I slept till 3:00.  We put our gifts for each other under the tree on Christmas Eve afternoon.  John had made it clear to me more than once during the past few weeks that this Christmas was to remain small & simple.  The plan was to exchange stocking gifts & nothing more.  In the photo above you can see John's stocking on the left (the pinwheel pattern) & mine on the right (the 9-patch).  In between the two is one small gift with a red bow.  This gift could not fit into John's stocking so I had to put it under the tree.  Note my stocking.  It is filled beyond its capacity.  Now note all the other wrapped packages under the tree.  These gifts, he tells me, could not fit inside my stocking, hard as he tried to fit them in there.  I should've known that he would break his own "rule" ... lol!  

We always open our gifts to each other really slowly in order to make Christmas Day last as long as possible.  Open a gift, have something to eat, sit & talk, open another gift, watch a short DVD program, have something to eat, talk with someone on the phone, open a gift, etc.  John ended up taking 2 naps during the afternoon but I remained bright eyed & bushy tailed the entire day   : ) 

We enjoyed good food all day long.  Initially I thought I would continue my healthy eating program through Christmas but this morning I decided that Christmas only comes but once a year.  As a result I keep waiting to experience some kind of sugar overdose.  I haven't had sugar or any food that the body turns into sugar since May.  Today has been one wild ride on the sugar rush train ... caramel popcorn, gumdrop cake, potato salad, white bread, Jello salad, & there was some candy in my stocking that has been calling to me since yesterday.  Food combining rules have been blatantly ignored.  Did I enjoy my fall off the wagon?  Yes, but I'll get right back up on it again in the morning   : )  

I hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas Day as much as I enjoyed mine.  Maybe I'm just getting old but for the past few Christmases I have been keenly aware of how very blessed I am to get to celebrate another Christmas.  I often hear or read the phrase "live each day as if it were your last."  Each day is truly a gift & each Christmas maybe even more so.  Treasure each day & especially treasure each Christmas.   

9 comments:

Debra said...

Hi Shirlee- Glad you had a great Christmas!

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

Merry Christmas Shirlee!
Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas! Love the pattern on those stockings!

annie said...

Merry Christmas! The tree looks lovely, I'm so glad you two had a great day!

Michelle said...

Glad you had a nice day. Like you as each Christmas passes I just feel more blessed every year. Enjoy the rest of your Christmas holiday x

Angela said...

Good morning Shirlee, You are such a tease. Tell us what was in those beautiful packages!! Glad you and John enjoyed your day. We had a wonderful BUSY Christmas as well. Looking forward to relaxing today with Mr. P. As I sat in church yesterday I took a minute to reflect on this past year and thank God for a year that began with such uncertainity but is ending with a renewed outlook on the futture. We are all so blessed. Hope you have a good day.
Angela

~*Sharee*~ said...

Glad you had such a wonderful day hun; I ate WAY TOO MUCH!! LOL I prob won't eat for 2 days...jk..

Hugs, Shar

cucki said...

hello deary, glad you had a really fun day..the tree is looking so sweet.
hugs cucki xx

TheCrankyCrow said...

Looks like he did you up good and proper!! You must be dearly, dearly, loved. And I can't think of a better way to spend Christmas day....savoring each and every moment and each and every gift the day has to offer. I'm so missing the sweets and goodies that I usually make and all the leftovers when we host Christmas Eve at our house. It's just not the same!! Smiles & Holiday Hugs ~ Robin

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Wonderful finish Shirlee!
Glad to hear you had a wonderful Christmas day!
I wouldn't even know where to begin with all those wonderful stitch'n projects!!!
Enjoy doing all those!
Prim Blessings
Robin