Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pretty Much Done!

John's sister posted the following picture on her Facebook page recently.  It makes you think, doesn't it?

      
Don't hate me but I'm pretty much done with my Christmas preparations.  It's kind of funny ... most of us run around like chickens without heads (forgive me Trace) prior to Christmas, but no matter how much we fret about how quickly time is passing by & wonder how in the world we're going to get everything done in time, we always somehow get enough done to be able to sit back & enjoy the day.   Our Christmas will be very low key this year which I'm sure has helped me feel as relaxed as I feel right now.  No one is coming to our house & we aren't going anywhere.  A huge amount of baking was not done ... just one batch of gumdrop cake, most of which was given to the local post office crew.  We had so much turkey left over at Thanksgiving that I froze a good part of it.  Our Christmas meal will consist of  leftover turkey, a precooked ham, & homemade potato salad.  Christmas breakfast will be our traditional orange rolls which are delicious & easily made from refrigerated biscuits.  We didn't do a lot of shopping.  The cleaning was minimal ... not the usual "spring cleaning" type cleaning as in days of old.  As a result I can kick back these next few days & watch a Christmas DVD or read a Christmas book or do some stitching & not be consumed with guilt that I should be doing something else.  

I will leave you with our traditional orange rolls recipe.  My mother told me about these years ago & gave me the cookbook they were in (Better Homes & Gardens Bread Cook Book) sometime after that.  If you decide to give them a try I hope you will enjoy them   : )

Speedy Orange Coffeecake

1 package refrigerated biscuits
1 stick of butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (8 tbsp) freshly chopped walnuts
1/2 cup (8 tbsp) grated orange peel

Dip biscuits in butter, then in mixture of sugar, walnuts & peel.  Overlap biscuits in a circle in a 9-inch pie plate placing one of the biscuits in the center.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until done.  Serve hot.  

9 comments:

Chris said...

Powerful picture Shirlee.
I hope you have a wonderfully quiet and peaceful holiday.
Blessings to you and your family.

cucki said...

yup..very thoughtful picture..great post..
sending you big hugs and love from south africa..
forever friends cucki xx

jennifer768 said...

Hi Shirlee,that picture speaks volumes! Glad that you are having a relaxed Christmas.Thanks for the orange roll recipe ,it sounds yummy.Merry Christmas,Jen

BumbleBeeLane said...

Shirlee~ Thanks for getting us thinking about the true meaning of things.Yes a relaxing day at home snuggled with hubby sound perfect.Warm Blessings!~Amy

Angela said...

Evening Shirlee, That picture sure makes one think. Glad you are ready and waiting on the big day. I am waiting for the family to all come for homemade from scratch chicken and dumplings. Another tradition of ours. Also have homemade chili and hot dogs. Younger ones don't like dumplings. There are cupcakes and homemade peach cobbler for dessert. Did I say how tired I am right now. After tonight there will be no more scheduled meals here until after the holidays. Maybe I can finish the Christmas book I am reading. Enjoy your quiet time with John.
Hugs
Angela

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Very touching picture put it all into perspective. Thanks for the recipe!

Michelle said...

Hi Shirlee - you are right it does make you think. Why do we all run around! No need for it is there really. Like you I haven't done my usual spring clean mad dash around the house. I thought that this year it would be nice to sit back and reflect on what Christmas is truly all about. The house is clean and tidy and I am sure no-one would mind the odd fleck of dust anyhow. Merry Christmas to you and lets hope 2012 is a blessed one for us all xx

Connie said...

What a picture....sure does say it all!

We've cut back this year too...I think a lot of people have. Your Christmas sounds very peaceful and quiet....Ours will be too. Church service on Christmas Eve, family on Christmas day. There's my Mom and Dad, 2 daughters, 2 grand daughters and my brother and his girlfriend coming over. We will open gifts, have a supper my Mother and I prepare and have a quiet Christmas evening after everyone is gone home. I plan on spending the evening playing with Miss Pearl and her few new toys and then reading a book or watching a Christmas movie.

Shopping and baking was cut way down this year as we've decided we just can't overdo it as we did when the girls were small. When I think back at the piles of presents under the tree when they were young, it makes me wonder, what in the world were we thinking! We're happy to get back to the true meaning of Christmas and it sures takes a lot of stress away. No Christmas parties to attend, no mountains of gifts, and just enough food and sweets that we'll have a few leftovers for a few days.

I wish you a very Merry Christmas! Enjoy the peace of the season!

Connie

TheCrankyCrow said...

Very powerful statement....and oh so timely. Your upcoming holiday sounds peaceful and fulfilling my friend. It will definitely be a different kind of Christmas here as well. Unfortunately, I'm still in that stage where I actually miss some of the "used to's" (especially the clean house part) ;o) The baking mostly - and I think having few presents under the tree will be a bit odd. Hopefully in time I will adjust....Thanks for sharing that recipe - I had meant to ask you about them when you mentioned them previously, but guess assumed they were fussy from scratch yeast creatures I wouldn't have time for any way...Going to definitely try these!! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin