Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Chronicles of the Sweet Potato Garland - Part III

The Chronicles of the Sweet Potato Garland
Part III
_____________________

Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 5:13 a.m. - Sweet Potato Garland Crafting Update - Following Day

Put the garland into the 170-degree oven at 1:30 p.m. yesterday afternoon.  At 10:30 p.m. it was still not shrunken.  I thought I would leave the door ajar a little & leave it in there until this morning but John was a bit concerned about the oven being on all that time.  I agreed that when he came to bed after midnight, he could turn off the oven & just leave it in there.  I must admit that it looks pretty good ... not totally dry but then I don't know what to expect.  If it's dried fruit, it would be kind of rubbery, right?  I am going to pound a nail over a doorway in some inconspicuous spot & let it hang from there for a few days.  Who knows, maybe that will be the extent of my decorating ... lol!

I must admit that I am worried because when I pick up the darn thing the spices just fall like snow in Montana.  It's really not possible that I over spiced it because I looked up more tutorials/directions on Google last night & some of the people recommended a double coating of the spice mixture.  

If anyone has any words of wisdom, I'd appreciate them.

Blessings,
Shirlee
_____________________

Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 7:19 a.m. - I thought about taking pics but everything was such a mess & there was so much going on that I didn't.  I did go ahead & decide to hang the garland in front of what is usually a very sunny window with a heating vent below it.  If that doesn't dry it out, nothing will.  I am concerned about all those spices falling off though.  John was a bit put out because he had to get the Dustbuster & suck up the spices after I hung the thing.  All I can do when it's thoroughly dry & shrunken is take it outside & shake the heck out of it I guess ... & if it still sheds after that I will try gg's suggestion & spray it with matte Krylon.  

I decided to take a couple pics now of it hanging in the window.



Blessings, 
Shirlee
_____________________

Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 7:02 a.m. - Garland Update

Apparently my garland is shrinking because every once in a while I notice it has slid down the string a little ways.  If you look at the top picture I posted, the top of the garland is right at the top of the window.  It is now almost even with the bottom of that top pane section.  It smells good, especially when the furnace comes on ... lol!  However, it it still snowing spices all over the place ... not individual little spices but flakes of spices.

Blessings,
Shirlee
_____________________

Will Shirlee's garland have any spices left on it by the time this story is done?  Be sure not to miss the answer in 
The Chronicles of the Sweet Potato Garland
Part IV




3 comments:

Carmen and the Primcats said...

Enjoying this story VERY VERY much.

Giggling...

Carmen and the Primcats

cucki said...

i am loving this story so much xx

TheCrankyCrow said...

It's looking pretty dang good and I'm still thinking I might be sucker enough to wanna make one....Robin