Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Chronicles of the Sweet Potato Garland - Part I

Not wanting to make you all feel that you need to send me some black market antidepressants or gift certificates for psychiatric care, I am going to spare you the saga of my finishing woes today.  I will, however, present you with The Chronicles of the Sweet Potato Garland.  I mentioned this garland in an earlier post & several of you said you'd be interested in hearing the story.

I posted  my interest & progress with this garland on the Country Sampler Forum where someone thought she was doing everyone a favor by posting a "recipe" for a sweet potato garland.  I'm just going to copy my posts as I wrote them.  This would be way too lengthy a read for me to do in one post so I'll break it up into a few of them.

_____________________

Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 7:09 p.m. - Thanks a lot Renee ... now I want to make a sweet potato garland too ... lol!  Where in the world am I going to find kite string at this time of year?  I just went & asked John if he was in the mood to take a drive to the grocery store.  Want to guess his answer?  Lol!  He says we can go first thing in the morning.  I'll set the alarm ... lol!

Blessings,
Shirlee
_____________________

Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 8:39 p.m. - I'm heading out to Walmart pretty soon.  Really!  Talked John into going tonight so we don't have to be bothered doing it tomorrow ... lol!  I will check the DMC stuff & also ask if they happen to have any kite string anywhere.  I don't know nothin' about kites but wouldn't any sort of string work?  I'll find out   : )

Blessings,
Shirlee
_____________________

Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 10:47 p.m. - Walmart salespeople are of no hep.  I asked someone where I could find the string.  He looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language.  "String?  Do you mean yarn?"  I said "No, string ... like kite string or the string you tie up packages with."  He says "Oh, ribbons are over in the Christmas section."  I said "I don't want ribbons, I want string."  So he goes over to a counter & says "Do we have string?"  The lady says "Yarn is over in the craft aisle."  I said "No, I want string like kite string or the string you use to tie up packages."  She said "Over in the craft aisle."  No string in the craft aisle, just yarn & crochet thread.  I bought crochet thread ... do you think it will work?  

Then I had to get yams.  They were on sale, 28 cents a pound.  I never bought yams in my life.  There were big yams & there were little yams.  I figured since you cut the slices into fourths, I probably wanted the big yams.  Those suckers are heavy!  They provided these cheap little plastic bags to pile them in that are akin to Kleenex.  The yams popped right out of them.  I tried doubling a bag & trying again.  Same thing.  I finally walked up & down the aisles looking for empty boxes, which I did find, & I piled them in one of those. 

This should be interesting.

Blessings,
Shirlee
_____________________

Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 10:49 p.m. - After clicking "post" I noticed that you mentioned this woman used 3 large yams to make a 3' garland so my buying the large ones was a good thing.  However, I bought 14 of them!  I'll have plenty of garlands ... lol!

Blessings,
Shirlee
_____________________

Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 8:45 a.m. - So do you all think crochet thread will work?

Blessings,
Shirlee

Continued in 
The Chronicles of the Sweet Potato Garland
Part II

3 comments:

cucki said...

sweeettttttttttt
love this post so much..
hugs xx

TheCrankyCrow said...

Oh my heck....you've got me hooked now...one to Part II....(why am I laughing already??) ;o) (PS - if anyone sends you any antidepressants - ship to me here in Nod - COD is fine....) (For some reason, I had to type "COD" 4 times - it kept coming up OCD....) ;o) Robin

TheCrankyCrow said...

uh duh....I meant "on" to Part II....